• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSi vs. ASUS ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FBPerformance

Registered
Looking at getting a laptop in a few weeks and wanted to see what people's opinions are on the MSI and ASUS laptops specifically the MSI GT627-216 or the ASUS G50VT-X6?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16834152095,N82E16834220483

I'm looking to be able to do some casual gaming (COD4) and watch movies as well. Currently leaning towards the Asus just for the better resolution, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The 2 year warranty and higher screen resolution are a pretty good deal for only $50 more than the MSI. Go with the ASUS.

The 2 year warranty and higher screen resolution are a pretty good deal for only $50 more than the MSI. Go with the ASUS.

Completely agree. On top of that you get a faster processor and Asus's dead pixel policy in the best in the business. Unless you just absolutely hate the looks of the Asus this just seems to be a no brainer.

Do not count on the faster processor, the MSI has a turbo button which overclocks my cpu 24%, a P9500 to 3.13Ghz and that is faster than any model stock out there, and it isn't hidden or anything, just a button to press and it is on the fly, and overclocks memory with it. I find the laptop reliable and good quality. Mine is a GT725 though.
So with the cpu, in the BIOS has settings for 16, 20 and 24% for turbo mode (20% being the default I think). At 24% my cpu is stable transcoding and that would put the cpu in the MSI laptop at 2.8Ghz, which is almost the highest cpu speed you can buy for laptop core 2 duo's. The memory on my laptop with 24% runs at 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15, with the option to adjust timings too.

The Asus has a bigger monitor, faster STOCK cpu, better warranty.
The MSI is cheaper, easy to overclock, more gpu memory (may not help you), better sound card (I think), it is lighter, smaller.

Is it only out of these two then?

Last edited:
I would be open to other options, but the MSi and Asus are my top picks as of now

The Asus has a bigger monitor, faster STOCK cpu, better warranty.
The MSI is cheaper, easy to overclock, more gpu memory (may not help you), better sound card (I think), it is lighter, smaller.

1GB VRAM is totally useless BS on a 1280x800 screen. 512MB runs fine for 1680x1050 screen. There's really no reason for 1GB VRAM on a laptop unless you like gimmicks, or you have one of those Gateway monstrosities with 1920x1080 screens.

If a laptop is already over 5.8 lbs, does it really matter that it is 8% lighter than the 6.3 lb laptop?

If you do anything with text processing at all (whether Word, Excel, or programming), you'll get very annoyed very quickly with a 1280x800 screen. It's just too darn small to work with. Smaller ain't always better.

It says 5.6lbs on the website for the MSI?

I just tried to highlight each laptop's benefit over the offer so he can choose which one he wants easily...

My MSI is fantastic, but it was a MSI barebones. And it has a fantastic screen 17" @ 1920x1200.

Go with whatever you want more.
The 1280x800 is pretty small screen resolution. Off the bat they are simular, but if your willing to pay a bit more (1300$, So a bit more than than the Asus):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152103

You could get that which has 1680x1050 (but its 17") and a 4850M which rocks the socks off a 9800M GS.

So I think that's the best choice.

But if you want ur 15" and your 1680x1050, you can match the asus with this for 1299$. Its CPU is still a 8600 instead of 8700, but Id still take it + ur getting a blueray drive in there too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152099

But in the end, either way, you will get a great system.

Last edited:
My MSI is fantastic, but it was a MSI barebones. And it has a fantastic screen 17" @ 1920x1200.

Go with whatever you want more.
The 1280x800 is pretty small screen resolution. Off the bat they are simular, but if your willing to pay a bit more (1300$, So a bit more than than the Asus):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152103

You could get that which has 1680x1050 (but its 17") and a 4850M which rocks the socks off a 9800M GS.

So I think that's the best choice.

Now that is pretty tempting, my budget just may have to expand for this. . .

Now that is pretty tempting, my budget just may have to expand for this. . .

Yes it is, look at the other one I posted too that matches the Asus but also has a BD in there.

The 4850m is a amazing laptop gpu. To give you a idea, the

ATI 4850m beats the
9800m GS,
9800m GTS,
GTS 160m,
8800m GTX!,
And even the 9800m GT.

Pretty much the 4850m and 4860m just fall right behind the 9800m GTX and GTX 260m.

Then after that there's the 4870m and then the SLI cards start to take over.

Also that red/black chasis that MSI and Asus uses, is great, has fantastic cooling. However there is one thing I should mention, it looks great, but the brushed black parts of it are pretty big fingerprint magnets. But Its also very smooth and fairly easy to clean. Its pretty rugged too, it can take a lot. But don't expect much battery life out of those machines.

With my specs I can pull off 30-45 mins in full gaming with a hack to make the GPU use full power on battery. Then in normal gaming mode I can get about a hour or so.

Then In all power savings mode I can pull off about 2-3 hours depending what Im doing.

Some people also say that there's bleed on the color screens of those laptops that use that chasis but I disagree. My laptops screen is fantastic, its so crisp and clear and the color saturation is fantastic.

If you want I can take a picture of it when I get home. Or any other angles you want to see of the laptop case/style.

Last edited:
The mobility HD4850m should beats the GTX260M as it is a rebranded (again!!!) 8800gt 512mb on 40nm
The GTX280M is the 8800gts 512mb on 40nm. The HD4850 is equal to the GTX280M, and the mobility HD4870 has no competition.
And the HD4850 was the first gpu (MSI GT725) to break 10k on a standard stock laptop.

My MSI GT725:
3dmark06laptop313ghz.png

3.13Ghz (Turbo mode 24%), HD4850 @ 550/1800, 1000Mhz DDR2 5-5-5-15

Vantage:
3dMarkVantagelaptop.png

That is 2.92Ghz (Standard turbo mode), HD4850 @550/1800

Those are some pretty nice scores for a Laptop, I think you guys have found what I have been looking for, thanks!

I am also looking at these 2 laptops (MSI GT627 and ASUS G50V). Because I need a laptop that can take some heavy 3D CAD desing (Inventor, CATIA) and I dont have the budget to buy a laptop with a Nvidia Quadro (they are very expensive). I also need a small screen because I will move a lot with this laptop thats why I think I'll get the MSI cuz from what I read it is smaller lighter and has a better battery life with the ECO engine.

What do you think... do you have any other suggestions ?

The only thing that I dont like about the G50V are all the gimmicky flashy LEDs covering it.I frequently have to bring my laptop into meetings and I'd be embarrassed to pull out something covered in lights and flashing logos lol.

But should I wait for the GT628 ??? the guy from MSI told me that it will come out in late august...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back