• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dreaming about X58....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmgonza6

Registered
So I just made a killer deal with a co-worker. Long short he gave me a Q9650 for my AMD 5000+. Well I got an Asus Maximus board, and it has been the BIGGEST pain I have ever seen. Now it has gotten down to BSOD land, and that is the only thing I can view on my nice new computer. So I am sending it back to the egg, and I thought why not sell the Q9650 and make the leap to i7 & X58 land, with all the other happy patrons:clap: My question is which mobo? More to the point is the mobo I want adequate. So far all I know is I am not going with Asus. I loved my old DFI board and Foxconn too. So the Bloodrage, Flaming Blade, or LP DK X58-T3eH6? My current system specs are:

(stupid) Asus Maximus II:argue:
Q9650
GTX260 C216
Corsair 650TX
Mushkin 4GB DDR2-1066
1 SATA & 1 IDE HDD.

Obviously I can't keep most of that, but is my power supply enough? I read a review on the egg, about a guy having a 650 watt powersupply with basically the same system I have now, except with i7 stuff, and the computer kept shutting off. He opted for a 1000w supply. Do I need this? Or should I just RMA the board for a new one and just stick with what I have? I do a lot of gaming, photo work, AutoDesk Engineer, Adobe work & HD movies. Thanks in advance!

Joe

An RMA of the board will probably be better for you seeing that you have the system already and the board is jacked. That 9650 is still a beast and with that GTX 260, it will scream with some overclocking.

What res are you gaming at? That PSU is good enough for what you are doing.

I have the corsair 750 with a heavily oc'd i7 and 2 very oc'd 4890s as well and it hasnt skipped a beat yet.

I run my Acer 24" at 1920 x1080, when it worked. Will this set-up be that great when it works like it is supposed to? I look at a sig like yours, and I get thinking for the same amount of money I can have that... :attn: I definitely plan to overclock once I am able to afford water. A Core i7 @ 4.3 sounds surreal:clap:. Thanks

Joe

My oc is all on air and 4.3ghz is not stable, but I can run a few benches at that speed and that is what matters to me lol. It is however, 4ghz stable through hours and hours of prime95 though. With a better mobo like a Rampage II Extreme or the Gigabyte high end equivalent, it may go stable at 4.3ghz.

Your system should do really well especially when oc'd. Make sure you buy a good air cooler if you are not going on water right away. I use the TheralRight Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE for short) and it one of, if not the best air cooler available today. You may also wanna try the Prolimatech Megahalen. It is made some of the designers of the TRUE after they jumped ship from ThermalRight. Both are outstanding choices.

Back