• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF!@#!@# F.U. Paypal eqwrqwt2w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Yeah I'm upset, can you tell from the thread title? I've maintained both a personal Paypal account for forum trades and a premier account for eBay for years. I have a secondary free checking account at my bank for the personal account and just transfer payments to my main bank account when the transfer from Paypal is done.

Well, I just accepted a payment for a motherboard in the classifieds. Log in to my PERSONAL Paypal account expecting to see a balance of $60...NOPE it's 57.96! WTF?! I think...look at the transaction details and it says there was a $2.04 fee. Yeah I know it's very little but it adds up over time.

Transaction details:
FUPaypal1.jpg

FEES for PERSONAL account:
FUPaypal2.jpg

Money orders only for forum trades from now on? Damn piece of crap Paypal - F.U. you'll be getting a seriously angry call from me on Monday, I feel sorry for the rep who answers because it's some upper management 'gotta keep the numbers constantly growing' *** who made the decision. Utter horsepoop.

*well maybe I went a little too psycho there, reading the right side of the seond picture it still says 'free when the money comes from Paypal balance or bank account' but that's under 'personal transfer' (wth is that?) so maybe it only refers to when you load up your own Paypal account? And on the left it still says there's a fee for 'Get paid.' Confusing :-/

Last edited:
Iirc in an analysis of eBay's quarterly and annual numbers they made more from Paypal than they did from eBay itself. So yeah. I added an edit because I'm confused after looking at it carefully...did I receive a 'Purchase - Get Paid' or a 'Personal Transfer - Receive Money' What do those two categories mean?? If I'm reading it right the 'Personal Transfer' is for doing things to your own account like loading up your Paypal balance and that hasn't changed. If that's the case it means Personal accounts have fees no matter what when receiving payments from other people.

Oh, and the best part of this? No notice WHATSOEVER at ANY TIME that this would change.

Of course it can. It's like any other crap TOS that says 'we can do whatever the **** we want and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.'

Here's more info: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=233372

It just changed within the last few days :rolleyes: Apparently if you mark 'personal' rather than 'goods/services' there is no fee, and 'personal' refers to just sending money to 'friends and family' not for buying things. Doing that provides no shipping option through Paypal for the seller but that's not a big deal, USPS or whatever website is just as good. Paypal can revoke your ability to accept 'personal' payments if they decide that you're using it to sell stuff and bypass fees. Guess what I'm going to do? ;) If they revoke the ability to do 'personal' payments I'd be no worse off.

Actually I'm surprised it took them this long, personal accounts have always been a great free payment option. I've never had a really serious reason to rant at Paypal and have been fortunate that both on forums and eBay I never had a problem. Time to look for other options.

Im a little confused.

If you just use your premier account you wont have this problem?

Well, I guess people will just have to take the paypal fee into account when selling stuff now. If you want to sell something for $60, just list it 2.9% higher to account for the fee.

I'm not a fan of the Paypal Gestapo attitude. More and more they seem to be looking for any reason they can to hold funds, confiscate goods, etc. I think one day we will see a class action suit against the corporate giant.

However, I can't really see the issue here. For one, there has always been a fee when funding comes from a credit card or bank account. From what I recall, personal accounts couldn't even receive credit card funding until recently could they? (so I thought) Secondly, the fees are clearly stated on the website. Third, they are providing a service and Paypal is a business so I can't see why anyone would expect it to be free.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate Paypal.

Well, I guess people will just have to take the paypal fee into account when selling stuff now. If you want to sell something for $60, just list it 2.9% higher to account for the fee.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it is against form policy to do this. Or maybe it's against policy to charge more for just using paypal, and cheaper for money orders. I say you want $60 for it? Ask $65, and you'll make two dollars or so.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it is against form policy to do this. Or maybe it's against policy to charge more for just using paypal, and cheaper for money orders. I say you want $60 for it? Ask $65, and you'll make two dollars or so.

What you said is what I meant. If you want $60 you list the item for whatever $60+2.9% equals.

If when sending Monies to another,s PayPal Account if you send as Gift then there is No Fee's,

Both Premier and standard,

Charge whatever you want and don't bother to tell anyone :cool:

Addon fees are for the airlines...we all know how good their business runs.

I hate PayPal for charging fees as well. But here is the thing, paypal is a merchant service, just like any other merchant service you find in retail stores, except they provide services to general public and business. They don't charge any fees for paypal balances for the following reasons:
-PP balances first have to be either received from someone or deposited through bank account. If they were received from someone regardless of the method (CC or Non-CC)they might've gotten tacked by fees. For that reason they don't double fee it.
-If you were to receive a check from someone what would you do with it? Either cash it or deposit it. Just that way, bank transfers are form of a check on paypal. therefore no fees for it.

As for the credit/debit card and paypal credit fees are charged because the credit card companies charge a % and/or transaction fee to paypal, that is what they charge. However, they make their money on PayPal credit, because they are providing the credit line in conjunction with GE bank. GE bank gets some $$ and paypal gets $$, of course GE Bank has more liability for it.

As for MM007, how did you get paid? It should say something about in the details, Buyer Credit, Balance, CC?

As for MM007, how did you get paid? It should say something about in the details, Buyer Credit, Balance, CC?

I was the buyer, and I paid w/ instant transfer from my bank account. PP has a new interface that makes you select from two groups of radio buttons. From after reading the policy and hearing what happened on the other end, anything on the first set will incur fees on the seller, the other won't. I unfortunately selected "Goods" from the first set of radio buttons- which resembled what I have always done in the past. Now I know what do to in the future. Ahem.

YOU SHOULD NOT SEND ANYTHING AS A GIFT THROUGH PAYPAL

if you get scammed paypal does nothing about it since you sent it as a gift.

If you get scammed when sending money as a gift on this forums classifieds, the gift you receive from SSS will not be your biggest problem. SSS undercover acquiring gifts for trolls and scammers:

poo-28215.jpg

I was the buyer, and I paid w/ instant transfer from my bank account. PP has a new interface that makes you select from two groups of radio buttons. From after reading the policy and hearing what happened on the other end, anything on the first set will incur fees on the seller, the other won't. I unfortunately selected "Goods" from the first set of radio buttons- which resembled what I have always done in the past. Now I know what do to in the future. Ahem.

I don't think there should've been any fees with the instant transfer, as it is getting funds from the bank account. Instant transfer is only possible, if there is a credit card on file with the paypal that acts as a back, just incase. I think paypal is to blame.

Back