• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6T vs P6T SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

I'm looking for the pros and cons of the "SE" edition versus the regular P6T.
Obviously the price is the "pro" but what are the "cons"?

Is this just as easily overclockable as the regular edition? (I know that's an extremely hard question to answer) I'd like to read some reviews but I'm not finding good review sites about the "SE" version as enthusiasts usually go for the better boards. Is the SE a relatively new product?

From a couple reviews I looked at the SE overclocks like crap... And it only supports crossfire I think...

From a couple reviews I looked at the SE overclocks like crap... And it only supports crossfire I think...

The one or two that i have seen show it very close to the regular P6T. As far as I can see the only difference is the lack of SLI support and price. In one of the reviews that I looked at the reviewer was actually surprised that the cut price SE had all of the overclocking options of the more expensive board.

Another review and a quote.

"The biggest change is the dropping of Nvidia SLI. That means the P6T SE can't use multiple Nvidia graphics cards together, but it's probably a smart compromise from a cost-saving perspective: SLI certification isn't free, and only a small proportion of customers demand it.

If you do get into high-end gaming, you can still use multiple ATI cards, as the freely-licensed CrossFireX technology is still supported. Like the P6T, the SE's three PCI Express x16 slots support a total of 36 PCI-E 2 lanes, which should satisfy even die-hard gamers.

The P6T SE also drops support for floppy drives, and comes with fewer SATA ports than its predecessor,

ADVERTISEMENT
offering six connectors rather than eight. These too look like sensible economies, though: it's years since we've touched a floppy disk, and six SATA drives (plus a further two IDE devices) should be plenty, even if you want to make use of the board's RAID support.

As a final pinched penny, Asus has also dropped the onboard reset button, though the power button remains. It's hard to imagine this really yields a worthwhile saving, but it's not a great inconvenience.
"

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/255832/asus-p6t-se.html

Back