• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Senior PC Tech / First time OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheG00n

I've got a P6T MB (not deluxe), an i7 920, and 6GB Corsair Dominator 2gbx3 1600DDR3. I want to OC the CPU to about 3.2-3.4 but with the changes in how you OC the i7 I feel clueless. On my old x2 3800+ it was an easy matter. Does anyone with a lot of experience OC'ing this hardware have the settings I should set the MB to or can tell me how to safely build up my OC to desired levels? Also, when OC'ing the CPU do I need to also OC my RAM to match a bus speed or anything? I downloaded a guide but its for a 4ghz OC and I don't want to go that high.

Nebuchadnazzar posted this earlier today:

"I just got an i7 920 with the regular P6T and i used this vid:

It should be a breeze getting to 3.2 GHz."

"Also, when OC'ing the CPU do I need to also OC my RAM to match a bus speed or anything? I downloaded a guide but its for a 4ghz OC and I don't want to go that high."

Have you tried the XMS profiles for your RAM yet?

ok I've successfully reached a stable OC of 3.2ghz but I have some concerns. In the video the guy states not to go over a max of:

1.25v for the CPU
1.65v for the ram
1.45v for the Uncore

Even though it's running stable I launched TurboV (asus app for adjusting BLCK and voltages in Windows) and it shows a 1.80v for Dram Bus Voltage and a 1.52500v for the QPI/DRAM Core Volt. Did I do something wrong?

ok I've successfully reached a stable OC of 3.2ghz but I have some concerns. In the video the guy states not to go over a max of:

1.25v for the CPU
1.65v for the ram
1.45v for the Uncore

Even though it's running stable I launched TurboV (asus app for adjusting BLCK and voltages in Windows) and it shows a 1.80v for Dram Bus Voltage and a 1.52500v for the QPI/DRAM Core Volt. Did I do something wrong?

No, it's fine. The voltages listed are ridiculously low...I run 1.45V on the CPU, 1.8V on my ram, and less on my uncore (it doesn't need that much), all that on my daily rig! The VTT also needs to be within 0.5V of the mem...for example, if you want to run the mem voltage at 1.8V, the VTT (aka QPI) needs to be AT LEAST 1.3V (default is about 1.15V). Just watch your temps and keep the CPU below 90C or so when at load. You'll be good! :beer:

Great! Been running for a week or so and no crashes other then self-inflicted. Load temps don't surpass 65c so I suppose I could go higher but at the moment I'm getting about 45-50fps out of crysis with settings very nearly maxxed...which is just fantastic to me.

1.25v for the CPU
1.65v for the ram
1.45v for the Uncore

Are your BIOS voltage settings all left on auto or what? For a stable overclock that low, there should be no need for anything more than 1.35v QPI/DRAM Core Voltage, and 1.8v for DRAM Bus Voltage is too high, whether it causes damage or not. Your Dominators shouldn't be set at anything higher than 1.65v (or 1.66v since Asus BIOS only goes in .02v increments).

Last edited:
Back