• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy a aftermarket Blu-Ray drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FBPerformance

Registered
Looking at buying the Gateway P-7805u but would like to replace the DVD Burner with a Blu-Ray reader, are there any companies that make such a thing?

You sure can. I have seen it done over at notebook review forums on a 7811 which is the same chassis. Did you get one with a WUXGA screen?

You sure can. I have seen it done over at notebook review forums on a 7811 which is the same chassis. Did you get one with a WUXGA screen?

not getting that until this next Friday, I hope I do but not going to hold my breath

I don't know the stats of that laptop but as long as you have at least 2ghz core 2 duo and 2gb ram you should be alright. I made my brother buy an Acer with HD-DVD then picked up half a dozen of them for less than £20. Question is though...are you going to hook it up to a 30in+ screen cos otherwise it's not really worth it.

I would be against it, which I don't think upgrading to BR would be worth it as you won't have the resolution to take advantage of it.

+1

I had £50 burning a hole in my pocket and i was at a PC store with a friend. I was walking with the box to the checkout and he goes

'what the hell are you doing you clown? I've got 32inches and i can hardly tell the difference. What are you going to see on a 22?'

very true i had planned on hooking it up to my 52" LG, But leaning more towards just a regular home theater blu-ray setup. Just seeing if the Laptop drive option was a real one or not

+1

I had £50 burning a hole in my pocket and i was at a PC store with a friend. I was walking with the box to the checkout and he goes

'what the hell are you doing you clown? I've got 32inches and i can hardly tell the difference. What are you going to see on a 22?'

The screen size has nothing to do with, its the like of resolution. The first production run of that laptop had the high resolution 1900*1200 screen which would be perfectly fine for BR. But the later machines got a lower resolution screen that cannot display all the resolution of BR. Screen size has little to do with as I can certainly tell the difference between regular DVD and BR rips on mine.

The screen size has nothing to do with, its the like of resolution. The first production run of that laptop had the high resolution 1900*1200 screen which would be perfectly fine for BR. But the later machines got a lower resolution screen that cannot display all the resolution of BR. Screen size has little to do with as I can certainly tell the difference between regular DVD and BR rips on mine.

Sorry i meant that it generally follows that smaller screen=lower res. Generally. I wasn't familiar with the laptop so i went general :(

Back