• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage 2 Extreme: Are all PCI-E slots 16x or only 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aoch88

As the question says, are all three PCI-E slots on the R2E running at 16x or only 2?

Actually, only one (first slot) is running at 16x...the second and third slots only run at 8x. I know, what a bummer! If you want 16/16/16, invest in a board with additional chipset from nVidia NF200.

Edit: A little correction. Second slot may run at 16x when you have TRI-SLI and IF third slot runs at 4x. So, it's either 16/16/4 or 16/8/8.

Last edited:
Actually, only one (first slot) is running at 16x...the second and third slots only run at 8x. I know, what a bummer! If you want 16/16/16, invest in a board with additional chipset from nVidia NF200.

Edit: A little correction. Second slot may run at 16x when you have TRI-SLI and IF third slot runs at 4x. So, it's either 16/16/4 or 16/8/8.

Yes and no really he is right but left out some information... The first two work at PCI-e 16X 2.0 when in SLI and the third would then become 8X 2.0 witch it pretty much they same thing as PCI-e 16x 1.0 and unless your running 3 GTX285 you wont notice a performance decrease because most of even the newer cards all though they support PCI-e 2.0 they don't utilize the bandwidth given by a 2.0 so right now they really isnt and downside because there are not any video setups YET that utilize the amount of bandwidth needed by 16/16/8 2.0 so don't worry about it just yet the RPII is an amazing board!

but correct me if i wrong!

Thanks guys. If I were to SLI with my GTX 260 on first and third slot, would it be 16/8 or 16/4? Seriously, this is darn confusing.

Thanks guys. If I were to SLI with my GTX 260 on first and third slot, would it be 16/8 or 16/4? Seriously, this is darn confusing.

Yes it can, you can also put your second card right below the top card and it would work the same. For your other question if you put the 2nd card in the 3rd slot it would run at 16X your right it is confusing.

Ok, the conclusion would be if I put it at first and third slot, it'll run 16/16 as well? I have a PCI-E sound card and that's giving me the problem. I wish my Elite Pro is using PCI-E 1x and this saves me a lot of trouble.

Ok, the conclusion would be if I put it at first and third slot, it'll run 16/16 as well? I have a PCI-E sound card and that's giving me the problem. I wish my Elite Pro is using PCI-E 1x and this saves me a lot of trouble.

Watch these:

Back