• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heard my favourite quote ever today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

Well, I cant get my Gigabyte P35-S3G to overclock more than 1Mhz on the FSB without a reboot to total stock settings. Sooo I called up the place I bought it (CCL, a UK based company) to see if they would cover that by warranty and explained the situation to the chap on the phone who was less than helpful. This is the Gist of it:

Me: "Hi, basically I cant overclock this chip even 1Mhz on the board I bought from you, even if I drop the multiplier so the chip is under stock speed."

Him: "Is it a multi core chip?"

Me: "yes its a Quad core"

Him: "Ah thats because its dynamic. All thats done dynamically"

Me: "If you mean Speedstep and C1E I turned them off so theres no dynamic clocking going on"

Him: "Yeah thats all done dynamically though...... what chip is it?"

Me: "Its a G0 stepping Q6600"

Him: "Yeah you cant overclock that chip, intel actually released a new chip which you can overclock, but that one you cant."

Me: "Ok erm (stutter from repressed anger as Im sat at work), that chip is one of the most popular chips for overclocking, its actually what a lot of people buy it specifically for"

Him: "Well, erm we dont support that because it voids your warranty on the CPU"

Anyway it went on a bit after me arguing I dont care about my CPU warranty and that doesn't affect the board. I just thought that a few of this guys pearls of wisdom should be shared. Now you know, ITS ALL DONE DYNAMICALLY, AND YOU CANT OVERCLOCK A G0 Q6600 BUT INTEL BROUGHT OUT A NEW ONE THAT YOU CAN SO ITS OK.

LOL

Ya, I can't get more than 3.4 GHz outa my Q6600 (heat), it starts rebooting randomly...

Sure wish I knew about that new CPU from Intel before I bought it.

Maybe I should do it dynamicly? Think I could get 2.7 out of it?

On the other hand I think it is the motherboard, the ASUS tech told me I should get 3.8 GHz reliably from my P5K with the right memory.

Good luck with your over clocking...

That's pretty funny!!

Your sig states that you're running that chip @3200MHz with 1.3V, that's 800MHz over stock and that is pretty good if I say so myself. And that's a lot more than 1MHz overclock. :shrug:

I guess I will have to turn mine back down so I don't void my warranty...... or.... is it too late?

Yeah that sig hasnt been updated since it started to do this. It always did it sometimes, now it does it every time. I googled it and loads of others have the same problem from what I can see. Even if this isnt covered by any warranty, I was really P****ed off at the guy for trying to lie to me. You cant overclock a Q6600? Then telling me Intel have released a chip specially for overclocking recently?? Just admit you dont know whats caused this issue and we are both better off you know?

PS All you guys who have clocked your Q6600 are in serious trouble. I dont even know how you did it since its not possible due to the dynamicness but you better ring the FBI right now and confess.

Yeah that sig hasnt been updated since it started to do this. It always did it sometimes, now it does it every time. I googled it and loads of others have the same problem from what I can see. Even if this isnt covered by any warranty, I was really P****ed off at the guy for trying to lie to me. You cant overclock a Q6600? Then telling me Intel have released a chip specially for overclocking recently?? Just admit you dont know whats caused this issue and we are both better off you know?

PS All you guys who have clocked your Q6600 are in serious trouble. I dont even know how you did it since its not possible due to the dynamicness but you better ring the FBI right now and confess.

Ahh, I see. That's a hell of a problem, and if it seems to be wide spread I wouldn't bother with another one. Sell it to someone who is willing to run it stock and invest in another board.

And I just got off the phone with the FBI and they told me since I'm currently not running the Q6600 anymore I'm off the hook. I'm currently running one of the "Approved Intel Overclocking Cpus" so all is good here! :bday:

Back