• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Consensus of Opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bagpus

Hi All,

I am very new to OC'ing and wanted to get some experienced peoples feedback...

I have a Q6600 that I can run stable at 3.2 gHz.. anymore and unfortunately I start running into boot failure issues, but I digress from my point.. which is.. if I am stable at 3.2 gHz.. which of the following scenarios is best?

1.) Running my FSB at 400 MHz with a CPU multiplier of 8. My DDR2 memory is running at 800 MHz (stock frequency), therefore I can run synchronously at 1:1 FSB:Memory bandwidth.

or...

2.) Running my FSB at approx 355 MHz with a CPU multiplier of 9. My DDR2 memory running at 800 MHz (stock frequency), therefore I am running asynchronously at a devider of approx 9:10.

My MB allows either. (Am using a XFX nforce 780i SLI MB and OCZ PC-6400, 800 MHz sli memory).

Any thoughts??

Bagpus

That is an ongoing debate..personaly I like to have a really fast bus speed low multi, and oc the shigitty out of the ram.
Back in the PIII days the bus speed and the ram speed was locked together, so as you clocked up the bus/cpu, the mem would get clocked as well, in which case the ram would usualy be the limmiting factor, which is why so many "hi-Perf" brands of mem became so popular.
A good example is the Abit BE6-II which let the bus speed go as high as 250mhz, but you couldn't find any pc100 or pc133 that would do that much. (although I did have a stick of pc66 that would do 140mhz)
My $200.00 a stick Mushkin would only do 160mhz...but with a cpu with a 100mhz bus clock, I ended up with a 400mhz+ overclock which was phenominal for that time especialy on air.

I forgot to add that after my PIII 700E was clocked, I tested it in sisoft sandra, and at the time my PIII beat the snot out of a 1.6g willy (1st P4) in raw cpu power and thruput

Last edited:
Back