• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alright, just dished out for an P6T system, now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

Just ordered off of NCIX with 920 and TRUE.

My buddy says that the regular P6T needs immediate BIOS update cuz original BIOS has OC issues. Whats the quickest way to do that? Install windows then update or is it doable off of a CD before windows install? Or is the only way to update BIOS before windows install is if you do it with a floppy?

I'm thinking of installing Windows 7 RC. Would you recommend not doing that then since I have to rely on the Asus update to work perfectly? If the BIOS flash goes wrong, I'm screwed right? (wait, isn't there some fail safe recovery from a flash gone wrong?)

It is possible to create a boot disk with the flash utility ASUS provides. I believe it is called AFUDOS. You will be able to create a bootable CD that takes you to a DOS command prompt. In addition, the utility will prompt to burn the AFUDOS program and the new BIOS file onto the disc. With the CD, you will boot into basic DOS shell, select CD drive, run program, then select the BIOS file. With the exception of the boot CD, the flash procedure is the same. I am not sure, but I believe that ASUS provides a flash utility already built into one of the motherboard EEPROMs and requires you to boot into it by holding a key during POST, much like holding DEL to get into BIOS.

I just built my system and I downloaded bios from Asus web page to flash drive on another computer. I did the update from within BIOS using flash drive before installing OS with no problem. As long as the power doesn´t go out while you are doing it you will have no problem.

P6t Deluxe Ver 2

Back