• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

45nm processors in older motherboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I have an ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium. It works well enough for me, so I'd rather not have to upgrade the board. However, I'd like to upgrade the processor from the Pentium 805 D that I'm currently running. However, all of the information I can find tells me that this MB will only work with 90nm and 65nm processors. This limits me to the Q6600 as it is the only 65nm processor I can find.

I'm willing to accept that this is the way it is, but I have to ask why? It seems odd that a motherboard will not work with a processor for no other reason than the traces on the die are smaller. What am I missing here? It's the same socket, right? :confused:

The P5N ( without E ) are 65nm limited. i think that the P5N32-E and newer P5N-D support 45nm process.

I had a P5N32-e SLI PLUS in the past and it was 45nm ready. But your P5N32 dont. + its 1066 FSB rated. running a 1333 fsb Proco is already an Overclock for this mobo.

The problem is that all of the "newer" motherboards use DDR3 memory. I have 8 GB of DDR2 in my current system. If I'm going to have to upgrade the processor, MB and RAM, I might as well step up to the i7.

yes :screwy:

sure its nice and snappy at 4.4, but when i need some muscle, my q66 was a beast :)

puny dual cores :bang head

a 4ghz+ quad would be the bees knees :thup:

My Q6600 lives on in my wife's computer, they are nice chips.

Got a lot of use out of that baby, she is now :) Of course I had it at 3.6 then, she doesn't game so cranked it down a bit and doesn't have a good cooler these days. Still runs 3.2 with a stock cooler NP.

:beer:

The problem is that all of the "newer" motherboards use DDR3 memory. I have 8 GB of DDR2 in my current system. If I'm going to have to upgrade the processor, MB and RAM, I might as well step up to the i7.

you wouldnt have to upgrade to DDR3.. there are LGA775 DDR3 motherboards but LGA775 has the majority being DDR2 boards. Go i7 if you have the money and really want to. im kind shocked intel held back i5 release, them stating due to lack of competition, BAH!

the upgrade to i7 would cost you more then a good LGA775 board and Q9550.

you wouldnt have to upgrade to DDR3.. there are LGA775 DDR3 motherboards but LGA775 has the majority being DDR2 boards. Go i7 if you have the money and really want to.

Most of the motherboards I've seen that are an upgrade from what I have, nVidia 700 series for instance, all use DDR3. Can I use my DDR2 memory in a DDR3 slot? The pin count is the same, but that may not mean much.

I just figure that if I'm going to upgrade the motherboard, then I might as well truly upgrade. Going from a 500 series to a 600 series is not a big jump. If I'm going to stick with the same socket, I might as well go for the best, but then there is that pesky memory issue... For that matter, I cannot even find motherboards with the 600 series chipset on NewEgg.

Back