• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops that support 12 or 16 gigs of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So I am starting to shop around for a new laptop... this process usually takes me several months at least.
My current laptop has a 7900gts with 4 gigs of ram and a 1.86 core duo with 160 gig hard drive. Its 3 years old and for what I do, virtual machines, etc etc I need more ram than it can handle.

Happy that this thing has lasted me 3 years just about, I hope to achieve the same thing with my next laptop by buying smart. That said, is anyone aware of any models of laptops that support 12 or 16 gigs of ram. It doesnt have to come with it, just support it.

I talked with dell today, and of course I think very little of their sales staff, who, by the way assured me they don't sell any laptops with 16 gigs of ram. This is of course FALSE. The sell a precision laptop that has a quadcore and 16 gigis of ram but I dont really need a quad core because 2 cores will do me fine so long as they are fast enough. But they still said they dont have any.

So what do you guys know/hear? anything on the horizon?

So I am starting to shop around for a new laptop... this process usually takes me several months at least.
My current laptop has a 7900gts with 4 gigs of ram and a 1.86 core duo with 160 gig hard drive. Its 3 years old and for what I do, virtual machines, etc etc I need more ram than it can handle.

Happy that this thing has lasted me 3 years just about, I hope to achieve the same thing with my next laptop by buying smart. That said, is anyone aware of any models of laptops that support 12 or 16 gigs of ram. It doesnt have to come with it, just support it.

I talked with dell today, and of course I think very little of their sales staff, who, by the way assured me they don't sell any laptops with 16 gigs of ram. This is of course FALSE. The sell a precision laptop that has a quadcore and 16 gigis of ram but I dont really need a quad core because 2 cores will do me fine so long as they are fast enough. But they still said they dont have any.

So what do you guys know/hear? anything on the horizon?

Any laptop with more than 4GB ram will most likely have a quad or higher, I know a couple of 12GB notebooks but they all have quads and i7s.

Good luck though.

quad would be fine i suppose i am just exploring my options... a simple google search didnt pull up alot so i thought i would see what the collective knowledge on the subject is

Back