• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo - Buying Laptop Online

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mooyo

I ordered a laptop online on the 9th with an estimated shipping date of 6/22/09. I figured cool, no sweat. I order the laptop and go to bed. I check the order status the next morning and it's set for 8/24/09. I'm not waiting that long for a laptop when I live within a mile's distance of a Best Buy, so I call up tech support. The outsourced Tier 1 rep is able to tell me that the screen I had picked is out of stock and only it's matte sibling would be available. Not a huge deal so I say ok, change it up. I'm transfered to their sales department (judging by accents based in the states) and I get it changed. A follow up email is sent with shipping date of 6/24/09. All is well.

The next day at work (6/11/09) I've got this nagging feeling that I should have gone with an upgraded processor so I call back in to support on my lunch break. I am not able to get ahold of my "assigned sales rep" so I get a hold of a different rep. I tell him I'm looking to go from the T6570 to the P7370 and also inquired on screen options. He tells me it's $50 to upgrade the CPU; and that going from an WXGA (1280x800) to a WSXGA (1440x900) it would be free. Sounded good to me and told him to do it up. He said it would have to be pulled from the assembly line and shipping would probably be another week. Not a big deal in the end and he says I'll see an update online the next day.

6/12/09 rolls around, no update online or via email. Same original configuration. Call my first sales rep, no answer. Never got the second rep's number. I figure I'll let it go till next week as it might just take a little longer to get updated.

6/15/09 still not seeing any progress. I send an email and leave a voicemail for my original sales rep hoping to hear back.

6/17/09 haven't heard anything new from the rep or updates online. Before leaving for work I send another email and leave another voicemail asking wtf is up. Finally get an email and a voicemail (was at work, can't answer phone) back essentially asking what I wanted to upgrade. I assumed the second rep have left notes or something on my order but whatever. I email him the exact two items that were to be upgraded and also leave him a voicemail with the same info.

6/18/09 no email back, no update online. Online status checker shows the same original order.

6/19/09 As I'm getting worried that my laptop might ship with the wrong parts I leave one last voicemail for my rep in the AM. Around 1 with no feedback I call in to the generic line again just asking for someone who's going to make good on what they tell me. Get a third rep who made my call sound like an inconvenience (I assume he's on commission and the original rep is getting credit for the sale) but assured me he would get the two parts changed out. I get his first name and direct callback number.

About an hour later after that call my first rep calls me back with a somewhat annoyed/angered tone. He tells me that the screen I want to upgrade isn't available for the model I had ordered, something I found odd as it's advertised on the website and have been told by two other reps that it was a possibility. I tell him that at this point I don't want to touch it and that I'm hoping the third guy can get things resolved and that I'd call him back on Monday to verify everything is how it should be.

As of right now I'm still getting a decent laptop for a good price but I shouldn't have had to make more than a dozen calls and 8 emails to get two parts swapped out...something I'm still not convinced is going to get taken care of. I'm concerned the laptop is going to ship on 6/24/09 with the wrong parts and I'm going to have to cause all Hell to be able to return it without a restocking fee.

Overall, the Tier 1 guys are great but the sales department can't seem to communicate with each other or with their customers in a timely manner. Their voicemail boxes even state you'll get a callback by the end of the business day (assuming a voicemail isn't left after their shift).

At this point I'm considering just canceling the order and getting it somewhere else.

If you do decide to cancel, I'd suggest going with powernotebooks.com. I ordered my laptop from them, and they were able to have it to me pretty quick, despite it being out of stock when I ordered it. Their customer service is great, and I'm told that none of their support is outsourced. Their prices are also some of the lowest.

So, I've made several more phone calls.

Third rep called me back this morning and apparently because of the way I ordered the laptop I can't get the WSXGA screen. Whatever, thats fine. He said I'd have the processor updated and we'd be all set.

I look at the shipping date....8/7/09. It went from June 24th to August 7th.

Nope. I'm sorry, but it doesn't take that long to upgrade a CPU in a laptop. Hell, ship me the laptop with everything else included and ship the processor separately. I'll install it myself.

Giving them to the end of business today to get that updated or I'm canceling the order. This is probably the worst experience I've had buying a product in my life.

Back