• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 and 1600 ram woes, and Mobo queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebuchadnazzar

I have a P6T regular motherboard and I think it's defective. The ram i have will not work at 1600mhz in triple channel no matter what I try. After chatting with Patriot on their forum they suggested a faulty motherboard since any stick of ram in slot A at 1600 mhz will freeze the system in 3 minutes flat; but, any stick in slot B is fine. Patriot Forums link

Now i've heard a lot of other people having trouble with the P6T and ram, so has anyone successfully ran triple channel at 1600 on the P6T. I might just upgrade to a better motherboard, what boards are people having luck with for a i7 920 D0 and 1600 triple channel ram?

My D0 chip seems to overclock like a champ, i just need a motherboard to juice it properly and hopefully get the ram doing 1600!

My full system specs are in the sig.

Cliffs: Cant fix the problem / Rampage II extreme

I don't know how to solve your problem. But my rampage II extreme is SICK! i love this thing, god knows i cried a little when i bought it because of how much it was but it was worth every penny. I run my G-skill memory 3 X 2GB 1600MHz mem @ 1800 everyday and runs like a champ overclocks are amazing as well iv hit 4.34GHZ on my C0 stepping chip and i know its not the board holding me back its just my chips top clock "mgoode" has hit 4.6GHz with his i7 D0 on this board. its a great board i highly recommend!

Last edited:
Just finished setting up my first i7 build - a P6T / 920 D0 for a friend running 3x 2GB OCZ PC1600 Platinum.

After updating the BIOS to the latest (606 IIRC) I changed eight settings:
Express Gate: Disabled
SATA Mode: RAID
Turbo: Off
Bclk: 200
DRAM: 1600
CPU voltage: 1.25
QPI/DRAM core voltage: 1.25
DRAM voltage: 1.64

= rock solid 4Ghz with triple channel PC1600.

Maybe your board is bad?

I think I might have the same problem as you, but I'm using the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P. It boots up fine at stock settings, but when I adjust the RAM to 1600 speeds it won't work. I have G.Skill Pi Black 3x2gb. Sorry to invade your thread, just thought I'd let you know you're not the only one and that I'm also looking for answers.

Thanks for the replies, I RMA'd the motherboard. I'm hoping that will solve the problem, otherwise I've heard people needing upto 1.6v uncore, but that is pretty far outside of safe specs.

Back