• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old ibm r31 into an ubuntu print file server, what to do about storage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeviantV1ral

20gb will definitely not cut it, i need around a terabyte

i chose the laptop for the low power consumption

what can i do about my storage problem? the stock hard drive is an eide

i'd like to use a 3.5 drive because of much higher capacity and cheaper

i thought about a pcmcia esata card but how do i connect it to an internal sata hd? where can i draw power?,

ps it will serve as a back up for osx's time machine, and my windows based music server

Last edited:
External hard drive? I assume it has at least a single USB port.

Not a 2.0 and too slow even if it was, point as i dont want to but an external enclosure, keep costs down as much as possible

nice project btw

Let me explain myself. You aren't going to get an internal SATA drive in that thing, it doesn't even have the data connections for it. Laptop drives are also much more expensive compared to their desktop counterparts. Pick up a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card (linky) combined with a Western Digital My Book 1tb (linky) and you are at a whopping $131. If you can find a cheaper solution, please share ;)

well i do have an external enclosure its ide though which is more expensive than sata drives and it works intermittently lol

hmm mayb a 2.0 usb isnt a bad idea the external drive can be reassessed

but the power consumption would go up. or am i wrong?

esata enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069 cheaper too

i forgot to mention current drive in it is dead so i wanted a boot drive with it too, can ubuntu boot from flash drive or CF attached via maybe ide connector?

Last edited:
The power draw from the PCMCIA card would be minimal, I'd be surprised if it was over a watt or two.

I have that exact external enclosure. It runs a Western Digital Green 1tb drive, they run at 5400 rpm (reduced power consumption) and it is rated for:

Read/Write 5.4 Watts
Idle 2.8 Watts
Standby 0.40 Watts
Sleep 0.40 Watts

Link

The enclosure will power down the drive after 15 minutes. So it is very low power draw for the drive itself.

Last edited:
it's not available on newegg, by the way is ubuntu a good choice? i think i will have an flash drive as an OS disk or a CF card or something, it seems it would be cheaper than buying a new hd just for the os and faster as long as writing is off

Ubuntu will work fine. Why would you need to get a new hard drive or use a CF card?

That is pretty slick if it is cheaper than replacing the entire drive.

i just realized i could use a livecd, any thoughts on this option? but i cant find a server livecd

Only problem is that the information isn't saved if you restart or lose power, I wouldn't suggest it.

can't i use a thumb drive to save the sessions, logs, etc? the existing usb1.1 should suffice

Back