• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P6T/Win7 HELL!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

Just built my i7 system and installed windows 7 RC (64bit) as the only OS thinking it would be okay.

PROBLEM:
The Asus drivers and utilities CD that came with the P6T doesn't run under win7.
I'm individually installing the drivers and utilities off of the asus website and utilities like asus probe won't install!!! :bang head

I'm about to give up and install Vista 64.
I've been boycotting Vista ever since it came out and been surviving with XP thus far but didn't want to use such and old OS for this new system.

And I can't even unzip into program files because programs don't have permission to and it windows doesn't even prompt me. It's just now allowed... WTF

:bang head:bang head:bang head

Why do you want to unzip into program files? Can you not unzip to another directory and just copy over? Also, have you tried changing the UAC settings to allow you more control?

I've changed it so windows allows everything (as much as it can be allowed to allow if that makes any sense). Yes i can unzip to another directory then copy over but seems kind of retarded.

I have to aggree. Microsoft are getting worse for protecting the O/S. This would be fine for a normal family PC. You wouldn't want your kids deleting anything form your Program files dir, would you. But for us it can be a right pain in the a**e! They should include a "Kiddy" protection option that can be turned off, lol

And then the kids and idiot "I know more than you. My usage of shady chat room sites and trojan-loaded flash games has nothing to do with computer knowledge, so I'm disabled your UAC so that my favorite web sites won't keep bothering me about not being able to install their tools" teenagers will disable it, and ruin it. Remember that the vast majority of computer users are NOT professionals, most parents either won't be able to remember a password protection on "child-safety" settings, or will write it down where the "child" can easily find it. If you dislike UAC, and trust that nobody will use your computer but you, then disable it completely. Otherwise, you'll have to learn to live with it. It is vastly better than XP-and-earlier's total lack of security. Default admin password blank on an internet-connected system, with nothing like UAC = OMGWTFBS!?

I had no problem installing win7 (64bit) on my P6t, it just booted first time no problem, then downloaded the necessary drivers from asus. no problem.

I love how people think UAC protects them.
The only way to protect yourself from internets virus is use firefox.

IE is a pile, with all this security and bs taking up memory.

Funny thing is that 'UAC' in another OS gets praised as one of the things that a certain other OS has over Microsoft's offerings. In fact Windows versions have been widely blamed for users inadvertently installing malware and people continue to praise other OSes for having UAC type software.

IE started this mess, but think about all those software companies who benefited from the lack of early direction, spyware, virus etc. Which in the long run may have better protected the consumer, just like the Bush administration. :rolleyes:

Euros have the best benefit, they can remove IE from the OS in Win7(even tho I know custom OS builders will bring this to fruition).

How come the states has to keep this garbage?

Not to get off topic, you should be able to get Vista x64 drivers at minimum from website, but stinks if your NIC drivers dont have x64 counterparts on the drivers cd.:screwy:

It may not protect people, but it does at least warn them that they may be about to do something really stupid with that superfunemailattachment.exe they just downloaded. FYI, Firefox doesn't prevent viruses in any way whatsoever. Go to a bad site and it'll install just as much malware. Virus scanners prevent viruses. Firefox is not a virus scanner.

Just built my i7 system and installed windows 7 RC (64bit) as the only OS thinking it would be okay.

PROBLEM:
The Asus drivers and utilities CD that came with the P6T doesn't run under win7.
I'm individually installing the drivers and utilities off of the asus website and utilities like asus probe won't install!!! :bang head

what version # do you have I installed w7 rc had some trouble but finally got mine is PC Probe II V1.04.57

Back