• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8...terrible design flaw!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

So I've been using a Gigabyte EX58 EXTREME for a few months now, and I've been very happy with it. But I do not have an 8th expansion slot in my case to run tri-SLI with it. All of the GB boards have their PCIe slots arranged so that it you run tri-fire or tri-SLI using dual slot cooled cards...the 8th expansion slot would be required.

So I wanted to upgrade to tri-SLI, and was looking for a new board. I'd used the eVGA before, and thought it was pretty nice, but I wanted to try something new, and went for the DFI instead...oops :mad:
Link to the DFI board for reference.

The onboard sound option requires mounting in one of the rear expansion slots (the normal I/O area is used for cooling). Since I was going to be running tri-SLI, the only spot available is the top spot...PROBLEM IS THE RIBBON CABLE ISN'T LONG ENOUGH TO REACH THE TOP SPOT!!! Not only that, but since there isn't an electrical slot in that top position, adding an aftermarket sound card isn't an option either.

Bottom line, if you want to run tri-SLI on this board, the only option for any audio would be to buy a USB audio solution!!! WTF??? :screwy: Who the hell designs this crap?

Hmm, I see your point MIA. That sux. I know this may sound rediculous, but can it be possible to mod the audio cable/ribbon so it does reach? Not sure if this is feasable tho :shrug:

That's probably what I'll do, but that's totally beside the point ;)

That's probably what I'll do, but that's totally beside the point ;)

You are absolutely right. They (DFI) should have considered the fact this would have sooner or later happen and they should have made the audio cable/ribbon longer. Funny how they can design a board for Tri-SLi, but don't put into account the audio module will have to be moved farther away needing a longer cable/ribbon :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for ya bro ;)

Primary...haven't heard much good 'bout the DFI for benching...plus I already have the GB EXTREME and a Classified for benching, I think those two are considered the best :)

The DFI will probably be in the Classies soon :p

You gonna sell it already? Dagnabit!! :bang head Hmm, I wonder how upset/angry my g/f would get if I spent my vacation funds on a new i7 setup instead of flying to Arizona to see her..... dam, but I want to LIVE! :cry:

Dang timing is awful:(

Good info Miah, pity about the flaw though...ah well, I will probably buy this from you anyway, I recently got interested in DFI boards and have not tried this one yet:)

It's a very good board--a breeze to overclock. My C0 went to 4.2GHz without any problems and all I did was change the BCLK and a couple of voltage settings. Been folding ever since..

Also, why not contact DFI about it? If not, then just RMA it for that reason alone (stating, "audio design flaw with the majority of Nvidia cards in Tri-SLI setup that are not cooled by single-slot heatsinks... blah blah)

Back