• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poof

I was looking at this mobo for my video server and wanted to know if the sas ports on it support sas -> 4x sata fanout cables? Im looking to connect one OCZ vertex SSD to it as the boot drive since the other sata ports will be occupied by my raid array, but cant find any sas -> sata cables besides 4x fanouts.

Wow, the P6T7 is awesome. All the things I loved about the P6T6 plus it has a firewire pinout, so I can use it with my dream case, the ATCS 840 (which I own and want to house my i7 eventually).

When the 6 core chips come out, I'm getting one of these. :)

To answer your question, I understand sas is serial attaches scsi, and supports the sata cable. No special cable required. As to it being fan out compatible (and in reality support 8 drives for a total of 14 drives on the mobo) I don't know. If it did, it'd be another reason I want this board... even if my case only holds 6 drives. :(

really, mini-sas uses the same connector as sata? well i hope that turns out to be the case.

cool mobo... but meh i wouldnt call it a "super computer" mobo... id say a dual socket i7 rig is more super computerish.

the reason its called supercomputer is all the pci-e slots, 8 of them at 16x, for gpu computer, hence the supercomputer aprt :)

Actaully it is a bit misleading

One site say 7 16x. one say 3@16, 1@16 and 3@ 16 or 8x, another says 3 @ 16 x and 4 at 16 or 8.

Since it has 2 N200 chipsets it could theoretically support 6 16x lanes.. so the actual specs are somewhere in the middle.

It is a super computer if it's used with 6 CUDA capable single slot video cards. In this configureation the processing power is awesome. Makes one heck of a folding/seti rig :eek:

I am looking at the $260 dual i7 socket Asus board. With dual 2.26GHz E5520 processors it would scale higher than a single W35xx running @4GHZ.

cool mobo... but meh i wouldnt call it a "super computer" mobo... id say a dual socket i7 rig is more super computerish.

Id take 7 CUDA or STREAM cards over your dual i7s any day for serious processing power :)

Imagine what 7 of those new 9800 EEs or some 4770s could punch out?

Back