• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X58M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatguy

I'm surprised there hasn't been anything here on the forums yet about MSI's X58M. I picked one up this week from NewEgg, along with a i7 920 D0. The board has been great so far, very easy to overclock. I have the D0 running 200x16 right out of the gate with no voltage bump - waiting for my 1366 backplane kit before taking it up higher. Memory is running at 1600, 7-7-7-22 (OCZ Gold)

Really impressed with the board overall - and the mini-atx form factor is nice. I paired it up with a Mini P180 and GTX280 for a powerhouse SFF gaming rig.

Anyone else played with this board yet?

As someone that has experience with the X58M can you elaborate about your experience with this board? Read Anandtech's review on the X58M and mentioned S3 resume isn't working on Bclks above 150. Have you done any extreme overclocking with your X58M? What cooling are you using and what OS.

Thanks in advance!

So far the board has been flawless. I also read the review, which helped me decide on the purchase. I've had no problems with S3 resume, I typically leave the PC on 24x7 and it resumes fine each time.

- Vista Ultimate 64-bit
- Stock Cooler (1366 backplane on the way for my Thermalright Ultra-120)
- OC currently at 3.2GHz, memory is running at 1600Mhz 7-7-7-22. All voltages are stock, chip still has plenty of OC headroom...
- Temps: ~45C idle, 60C on full load

here's an image - please ignore the aux power cable, too short to reach around the back of the motherboard :(
3665750411_5da2c36042_b.jpg

Looking good! I'm interested in this board, it's a pity you have a stock cpu cooler but your temps are great so perhaps there's no need!

Have you been past 3.2Ghz yet? I'm looking for about 3.6Ghz stable when I get mine and will probably get this board if it can do that kind of overclock. :)

So far the board has been flawless. I also read the review, which helped me decide on the purchase. I've had no problems with S3 resume, I typically leave the PC on 24x7 and it resumes fine each time.

- Vista Ultimate 64-bit
- Stock Cooler (1366 backplane on the way for my Thermalright Ultra-120)
- OC currently at 3.2GHz, memory is running at 1600Mhz 7-7-7-22. All voltages are stock, chip still has plenty of OC headroom...
- Temps: ~45C idle, 60C on full load

here's an image - please ignore the aux power cable, too short to reach around the back of the motherboard :(
3665750411_5da2c36042_b.jpg

You know you can get extenders for you Auxillary cable right. Also, whay program are you using for reading your temps.

Hi, i have the same mother and OCZ DDR3 1600.
How set the DDR3 to 1600?
I'm new and never before make any oc and the bios detect as 1066!
Thanks for you help!!!!

Long overdue update - I finally got around to installing my Thermalright Ultra-120, re-greased the 920 and went straight to 4.0GHz (200x20) with no voltage uptick. System has been running stable (lots and lots and lots of MW2) with no problems. the 800MHz difference is definitely noticeable in games, especially when I'm hosting.

Temps with this case and cooler still stay around 63-65C on load, which is acceptable to me. I threw a thick panaflo 120mm fan on the chip but modded the power to run at a lower rpm, does a decent enough job.

So I'm thinking this chip might be a good one ;) Suggestions on what I should do to really stress it out?

I used this board on a work computer that I built and seems to run just like the X58 platium SLI board that I have. I like both boards. The only thing is you are limited in overclocking. I can get to about 3.8 ghz on both these boards while folding. Some of the higher end boards allow for more tweaking to get to 4.0-4.2

Back