• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X58 Platinum (SLI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well guys after much thought I decided to make the i7 jump. I worked out a deal with gigabit for his MSI X58 Platinum board & 3gb of Crucial DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600).

Ram Linky

Board Linky

Whatcha think is it doable? I know it's not the P6T or the Rampage Extreme II, but I'm sure the MSI board will do just fine. Funds are extremely tight so I'm working with what I got. I'll still need the GTZ's 1366 conversion kit, another 3gb of ram for a total of 6gb and of course the chip itself. Hopefully a D0 will be nice. gigabit reached 4.2Ghz with his D0 on this board and 3.8Ghz with a C0, so I have no doubt the board with the right chip can make it. My target speed will be a reasonable 4.0GHz. I'll be out of town this coming weekend for about 2 weeks so I won't be able to do anything at the moment. When I return I'll start on my new project :) By then the prices will have dropped some more on the 920's ( I hope).

I'm so looking forward to this build. Any advice/suggestions with this new setup will be appreciated.

It seems like all the x58 mobos can reach 4GHz quite easily using a D0 chip... il be making the jump fairly soon too... im still undecided on what board to get because they all seem to be very good...

Keep us posted!! :D

Well I'm in the middle of taking a trip out this weekend to Arizona for about 2 weeks. Won't be able to do anything until I return.

Well got the board today. Looks really nice and the copper NB/SB cooler really puts on some weight to it, lol.

All I need now is the GTZ 1366 adapter & a chip. I got a stock 1366 cooler to use for the time being tho.

I'm the opposite, I have a 920 D0 and 6Gb of Memory sitting here and no motherboard :(.

MSI seems to be making some nice boards lately, I'm sure it will do the job.

I'm the opposite, I have a 920 D0 and 6Gb of Memory sitting here and no motherboard :(.

MSI seems to be making some nice boards lately, I'm sure it will do the job.

Dang. I have the board & ram, but no chip, lol. I'm just itchin' to build this thing already. MSI's reviews are pretty good. Previous owner of the board had his C0 @ 3.8Ghz & a D0 @ 4.2Ghz ( I believe). I'm sure it won't disappoint me.

*Update*

Got my 920 today and decided to put the new setup together in the back-up case. At first it gave me some problems booting up which I thought was wierd. I would press the pwr button, but no boot. I then pressed the pwr button on the board and it powered up, but then quickly died. I had no idea wtf was going on. Finally after several tries by removing ram and disconnecting non-essentials, she fired up.

After some research and tweaks, I finally got it to 4.2Ghz (21x200) with 1.39v. Ram @ 1600 9-9-9-24, 1T and 1.65v Everything else on auto.

I gotta admit this thing is faaasssst!! Only 3gb of ram for triple channel, but it's runnin win7 x64 just fine. Surprisingly it's running cool (54/55/55/53) with the stock cooler. I plan on swapping it into the main under H20. Just waiting on the GTZ 1366 adapter from jab-tech :)

I'm happy :clap:

Last edited:
Thx :) I have no clue what was causing the boot problem. I jsut started removing ram sticks, then I disconnected the wires from the pwr/reset/hdd panel and that fixed it. Me thinks there was something screwy with the way I connected them. Odd because I connected them as the manual showed :shrug:

Once straightened out, it boots up normally now. I just dislike the pause it goes thru upon booting. Not sure if that's how the i7 is.

Oh and no adapter today :-/, maybe Monday.

Does i7 just take a while to boot?

I hate hooking up the case power switch and what not... took me hours on my stacker coz some of them are broken which makes it extra fiddly... i managed to get everything hooked up right except for the LED on the power switch... i can live with that...

Yeah, those little thin wires break off easy. I had to resolder most of them back from my previous cases. Pain in the butt that is :rolleyes:

Not sure about the delay/pause thing. It's either:

A) This particular board (MSI) is

or

B) This is the way i7's boot up.

I might post this in the Cpu section and see if this is i7 related or it's a board issue.

Does i7 just take a while to boot?

It seems like it's typical for MSI boards. I had your model of board before and it took it a bit to boot as well. I thought it was that board, then when I got a different board (Eclipse Plus), it's also doing the same thing. I now have an Asus Rampage II Gene and it boots much faster. So I believe it's typical MSI i7 boards or something.

Neb make sure you have all the extra stuff shut off in the bios.Like the
j-micron if your not using it.That cut down on boot time big time for me.Seriously i dont really remember having any booting issues with that board after i figured out what i need shut off it booted just as fast as my P6T Deluxe

Last edited:
All i7s have a long boot time i've heard.

Mine takes around 10-15 seconds till post even!
Might try and turn some stupid stuff off :\

Agree with gigabit. There must be something enabled which is causing the delay.

Neb, this doesnt sound like your issue, but the BIOS upgrade solved it for this guy AND explicitly mentions a RAM boot up issue.

Maybe try single/dual channel for results.

Ahh, well the " 6gb of ram or more" problem isn't with mine as I only have 3gb (3x1gb sticks). It's just from the time I press the power button, till it reaches the boot cycle, it pauses/hangs then you hear the "beep" and then it starts the boot cycle. It's anoying as hell trying to figure out why it hangs.

I've got the latest bios
I've cleared CMOS several times
Running defaults or oc'ed doesn't change
Disabled "junk" in the bios

Other than this, the board/system runs great and oc's like a banshee.

Not sure what the hell it is :shrug:

Back