• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lack of AHCI Support - Dell E1705 / 9400 / 6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaaaaaaaaa

Hello all.

There is a thread in the Dell IdeaStorm forums where users are requesting Dell release a BIOS update that adds AHCI functionality to users of the E1705/9400/6400.

I just posted a comment and I hope that those of you with E1705/9400/6400 laptops will post a comment. The more feedback Dell gets in this matter increases the chances Dell will assist us!
** In addition to posting a comment, you can promote the idea which will add 10 points to its value.

Here is the link:
http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000000AUNAA2

Last edited:
What for would you need ahci for? Ahci is good if you use hot swap but on laptop when will you be changing hard drives.

What for would you need ahci for? Ahci is good if you use hot swap but on laptop when will you be changing hard drives.

multitasking HDD performance. I dunno how it would help hotswap since there is no consumer SATA chip that supports hotswapping.

multitasking HDD performance. I dunno how it would help hotswap since there is no consumer SATA chip that supports hotswapping.

Hotswaping = ESATA, there is plenty of that.

There is not a bit of difference in performance between Ahci and ide mode on 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm drives. Since these drives can't sustain transfer speed of higher than 100mb/s. It's like a difference between organic dirt and black dirt. The only benefit to ahci comes when using SSD drive which can overcome 100mb/s. Now the cheap ssd with jmcron controller are crap and give choppy performance. So, ssd drive with better controller will cost about 40% more for the same volume.

Back