• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 + Asus P5N-E SLI, Strange Issues!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eyeohno

First off, I hope this is the right place for this post! Secondly, I am aware the Asus P5N-E SLI isn't the best by any means for quad core overclocking :)

I currently have this setup stable:

Q6600 G0 65nm @ 9x333MHz, 3.0GHz, Unlinked, 1.38v.
4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-6400, 400MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.013v.
Stock cooled NB @ 1.56v.

Running 0608 BIOS revision as the others are awful for overclocking.

My overclocking experience isn't the best in the world, however, from my research on this board this overclock is rather good, however I've had moderate success at 3.4GHz and want to keep trying.

Here's where stuff gets funny. After I test a few FSB values at different voltages I go back to 9x333MHz which is stable as a rock usually. It crashes on Windows load. This pattern has happened multiple times and can be fixed in 2 ways.

1. Setting stock settings for ~30mins then setting the same overclock values again, this results in a 99% stable system, with a crash every day or two randomly (often overnight while idle).

2. Resetting the CMOS and going again at the same overclock values. This provides a completely stable system.

This of course means I can't test my FSB values for stability if somewhere in my testing I'm causing the system to be unstable at previously rock solid values. Unless I reset my CMOS every attempt to guarantee the instability is caused by the new settings - A bad option without removing my motherboard from the case as the jumper has an awful positioning.

My assumption is the board is somehow remembering old settings via in it's CPR system and this is somehow causing instability, is my assumption correct that this motherboard is just awful or is this a common issue I wasn't aware about? Is it possible I'm actually causing damage to a component during my testing?

try going through everything again, this time with only 2x1g of ram installed. i bet your experience is night and day different.

i had the 650i based P5N-E for a spell and it would run (q6600) 3.9 24/7 under my TRUE with good fans running 2x1g of ram. when i tryed 4x1, it was a crap shoot.

Also, your ram timings seem low, try loosening up and see if you have a difference. You might just be running them to tight for your FSB. My DRAM Freq is 400 as well as my CPU FSB. My Timings are 5-5-5-15 - 2T. On CPUZ look at the SPD tab at your ram. It should show what timings should be according to your FSB. For example on my board:

Freq.----------266---------333-------400
-----------------------------------------
---------------3.0---------4.0--------5.0
----------------4-----------5----------5
----------------4-----------5----------5
---------------12----------15---------18

1.8V 1.8V 1.8V

Although CPUZ doesn't tell you, your ram manufacturer should, that if you are running at the max 400 FSB settings to have your voltage set at X.XX V. Usually 1.8 is the bare minimum and 2.0-2.1ish for max. Your voltages should be ok, but your timings you may wanna loosen up just to rule that out. Try 5-5-5 18 for starts.

I can run this Chip with stability at 3.8 Except for the Heat and Volts at 1.52, but if I try to turn the timings down, I can barely get to 3.4 with anything lower than 5-5-5-12 - 2T.

Oh and your NB seems a bit high to me as well. I have mine set at 1.38 in bios.

Last edited:
P5N-E isn't a great OCer anyway and all 4 DIMM slots being full just makes it worse, then factor in you're using a Quad...just doesn't seem like a good combo...lol. Seriously, try using 2 slots and loosening the timings, it should help at least a little.

This reminds me how bad I need a MoBo upgrade, the only component that REALLY needs an upgrade...

Oh and your NB seems a bit high to me as well. I have mine set at 1.38 in bios.

In my experiences, the 650i chipset needs TONS of volts for a FSB of 440-450 (my max is 440). I needed 1.7XX, the highest setting, to get to a 440FSB; and 1.5XX for just about any other OC...

Last edited:
I have P5NT, which isnt great MB for OC'ng too. The board is quite similar to yours, but i never came across problem you described.

Not a big fan of this MB though. NB and SB (especially NB) running very hot. Got the voltage on auto, since i am not sure what settings would be ideal.

Currently my OC is on 3GHz with less than ~1.2V, which is not bad i think. I will attempt to go atleast 3.2 soon, just need improve my cooling atleast slightly.

Also 4 RAM slots occupied, i wish my MB would support DDR3.

hey

I own a P5N32-E SLI Plus. I run a Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz stable. The issue with the board seems to be the chipset cooling. The heatpipe design is just flawed because it gets way to hot esspically if you up the voltages which seems to be one of the only ways to get an almost stable system on the board. The 570i chipset doesnt like anything past 333mhz (1333mhz FSB).

The solution to the chipset cooling was I voided my warranty and chopped the heatpipes off with a tin cutter and put on the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit 2 (keeping in mind I still used the copper heatsinks to cool the mosfets so I didnt have to buy extra. I wouldn't reccomend this unless you are positive you know what you are doing. The temps dropped and I was able to succesufly run an overclock of 3.4ghz on a Rosewill cheap cooler. Tommorow I upgrade to the P45 chipset in hope to reach 3.5-3.6ghz because the 570i just isnt cutting it and it only allows for PCI Express 1.1 and not 2.0.

Overall I'd say ive had many issues with the P5N32-E SLI Plus board and wish I never would have gotten it because it def has been a nightmare and very scary moments with it.

Back