• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking: Motherboard/Processor Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbcranium202

I've never overclocked before, so I'm trying to come up with a combination which will allow me to do it easily. I was wondering how much the motherboard plays into the ability to overclock. Also, if this motherboard will get me easily enough to 3.5/3.6 (nothing too high, just a little extra) with the processor.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

Also, should I overclock the RAM or is it more of a hassle than its worth? Any input into better combinations or explanations are more than welcome.

Last edited:
That's a very good board there. It will easily take your CPU to 4+ Ghz. I have my UD3P at 470FSB with a QUAD CORE chip. A dual core will certainly go higher.

And regarding the RAM, it's so cheap these days that I would definitely just recommend getting pre-binned higher clocked RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

that is some decent RAM with decent enough timings. It's only $5 more ($15 After mail in Rebate). I have it in 2 of my machines and it works perfectly.

The Reapers you linked have better timings, but I'm nearly certain you would have to loosen those timings to around the same as the Gskill RAM to get to 1000-ish Mhz.

Although, with the multiplier on that E8500, you only need 420FSB to get to 4Ghz. If your cooler can take it and your CPU has it in it, you could likely see 4.5Ghz (mind you this is with good cooling and a good chip, I have no idea what the average overclock is for E8500's as I've never had one. I went straight from an E6400 to a Q9550.)

Sorry for the rambling, I'm tired :)

Oh and :welcome: to the Forums! :)

Thanks for the help, I added in my cooler and case etc. I also am including the following.

OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

using these, would I be able to OC up to 4.0? I'm more or less looking for my limits, so that I can make a decision on how far to push it before I start trying. As I said, I'm not really looking for more than 3.5/3.6, but might consider goiung higher depending on what it all can handle. I'm looking into that Gskill RAM also, thanks for the tip!

Back