• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS MAXIMUS II/ need recomendation on cpu & ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoot0073

Registered
ok i got a ASUS Formula Maximus II, @ NewEgg

what CPU & RAM do u guys recommend ?

This is my first INTEL build, yes i know im a "AMD FANBOY" but thought that i would try something diff its gonna b a O/C /Gaming system.
CPU $150.00 max
RAM $100.00 max

I was looking at tha Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz b/c its within my cpu budget and a great o/c'r from tha reviews that i read "newegg" :confused::confused:

Last edited:
E8400 is a given. Definitely get that.

As far as ram goes, it really depends on how you plan on running your ram. If you're just going to leave it on a 1:1 ratio, even if you put your CPU up to 4.5ghz (500*9), your ram would only be running at 1000mhz. Buy a quality set of 2x2gb 1066 and you'll be fine.

well i just need to get tha RAM in my sig. in tha 1066 version if they offer it being as it can handle HIGH FREQ.

that ram you linked is a no no , its highly binned chips , but they never supposed to do 1200 mhz and from what i know they had problems with them , plus its way overpriced for 2 gigs.The kit i linked will likely do 1200 5-5-5-15 with 1.9 volts and its acctualy 4 gigs , also their is 1200 version with the same chips but higher binned it rarely in stock , but like jon sad it will depend on what ratio you going to use , so this 50 buck kit might as well suffice if you going to run 1:1 .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

ok CharlieCS;

thats added to my list = G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

I love my G.Skill and E8500 with my maximus board, with that said I would have gone E8400 or Q9550 but overall a good setup you have planned.

ok i done bought a CPU COOLER (ThermalTake Silent 775D P/N CL-P0378) $40.00

is that going to b a good cooler for high O/C for tha E8400 ?

just wanted to say DAMN !!!

this board comes with all kind of goodies. never could afford a $250 mobo but WOW.. now i c why its so much $. the box itself is cool looking too. just finished reading tha manual and i cant believe all tha O/C features that it has. and i hope its not going to be to difficult to learn to O/C a Intel from a AMD. u can tell that ASUS built this board for all tha O/Cer's in mind. not bad for $100 new. but if i had it my way and had $250 i would have gotten a AMD version instead of Intel .lol.. but atleast i got a good start to build me a Ultimate comp.

I liked the Maximus II, used it for awhile, when my buddy ever decides to build his comp am going to going to use it in his. It's just sitting here atm :( I'm recommending a E8400 to him and have some Reaper 1066 I'm selling him cheap, but the Blades better.

Hard enough to get him going without recommending new stuff other than selling him some of my old cheaper heh.

I couldn't run my Areca 1210 Raid card and the HD4870x2 at the same time though due to the bus and wanted to put the Raid card back in so got a Rampage Formula or would still be using it.

The OCZ RAM is very good he had up there, I've the Blade 1200 version atm which is just a different heat sink, they do have the 1150 version of it in stock. The 1200 been sold out for over a month or I'd have gotten more by now, they only let everyone buy 4G initially :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227454

:beer:

Last edited:
That's a great MOBO, I have it, I can recommend G.skill, I run 4x2GB at 1066 no prob. I assume your interested in dual core cpu?

Back