• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible to sell on ebay anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lionsault_100

Is it possible to sell on ebay anymore? Seriously.. I am getting retarded negs every day..

one thats jibberish (litterally jibberish) for an item that sold for 1 cent

one because a computer was missing open office spreadsheet

oh and theres te one that that filed a complaint because of a dead battery when the ad clearly said the battery was dead

I was able to get the last one recinded , and will probably get the excel one reversed but you are allowed only so many feedback revision requests

in a site filled with whiners and people who leave horrible feedback over crappy issues that can be resolved easilly is it sensible to use this site anymore?

not to mention happy customers are leaving 4 out of 5 stars stating that service and description are "good", however i am reading I can get banned if my average is 4 out of 5 stars (it isnt that low yet)

not to mention the other 2 categories shouldnt even BE categories

how do I have less than 5 out of 5 stars for shipping costs!

My items are either FREE SHIPPING or the SHIPPING COST IS FLAT RATE AND STATED IN THE AUCTION

and shipping time!!??

thats beyond my control

---

am I the only one in this boat?

No, unfortunately, you are not the only one.
I've stopped trying completely. I can usually sell my stuff on Craigslist Nashville, and then I offer to ship the item or pickup halfway.
I would suggest posting your stuff on the nearest large city CL page and see if it sells there before adding it to eBay.

Ill never use Ebay again. I hate that site.

I also wanna stay away from paypal as much as possible.

i mean unless you are a corporation with extra income has ebay elbowed out small to medium volume sellers?

its ok to sell one item on there and deal with the customer and its ok if you sell thousands since ebay gives you huge breaks but everyone in the middle gets squeezed ? 1 bad DSR can KILL an account.. seriously.. and 2 categories which shouldnt even BE categories.. most dont sell enough to soak some retarded buyer leaving 1 star for shipping costs

I used to sell a lot on eBay but it has become harder recently. eBay's fee are way up for no reason, they are making it harder impossible for seller to neg offensive or non paying bidder, and you can't do a reasonable flat rate shipping anymore. eBay once insisted I charge no more than $4 on a set of old college book weighting more than 20 pounds. Gotta do the by weight only to get more shipping charge added.

On top of that, the false $80 charge back I was hit last year was only the start of the problem. That charge back was reversed but I've had 3 more PayPal charge backs all claiming "not received" when tracking # already proves otherwise, all done through Click 'n Ship and paid for from PayPal fund. PayPal dropped all charge backs against me but I couldn't do diddly squat about the falsely earned negs on my feed backs.

Lastly I had a seller 2 months ago ship me the wrong item. How hard is it to tell apart *orange* colored item from *blue* colored item??? Seller insisted I ship item back (not a problem) and resend another $20 for S&H for them to send the correct color to me :)mad:) Ended up leaving a neg on his account (no neg on me nyah!) and stuffing the ugly orange widget in a miscellaneous box. Later he had the gall to file NPB on me but eBay eventually overturned it because I had paid through PayPal.

I have not had any problems with feedback as a seller on ebay, but I agree the shipping stuff should be removed.

Handling time however... is a good indication. The tracking number you get tells you exactly when the package leaves the shippers hands, instead of stars, have it be handling time. And yes IMHO saturdays should count :p

Use Buyer Requirements to block/ cut down on e-tard bidders:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

Here's my Buyer requirement settings:

Code:
Block buyers who:

* Have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s)
    * Are registered in countries to which I don't ship
    * Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1

That alone will go a long way in filtering out the losers.

Shipping? I set the terms of shipping; I include the cost of insurance and always require signature delivery confirmation.

Last edited:
not really - the 3rd one is a moot point as buyers cant have a rating under 0

the 2nd one is a moot point too because most of the yahoos that will cause the most trouble are domestic yahoos, not international yahoos

and the non paying bidder stuff helps but not with people who pay and cause trouble

Seting the terms of your shipping is good i do the same, somehow these MORONS are still posting less than 5 rating!

EDIT:

just me thinking out loud: The 2 strike bidder thing -- wouldnt someone with 2 strikes be LESS likely to cause trouble than someone with a strike to spare ?

not really - the 3rd one is a moot point as buyers cant have a rating under 0

the 2nd one is a moot point too because most of the yahoos that will cause the most trouble are domestic yahoos, not international yahoos

and the non paying bidder stuff helps but not with people who pay and cause trouble

Seting the terms of your shipping is good i do the same, somehow these MORONS are still posting less than 5 rating!

Well, then do what works for you; this has worked well for me.

I have the same buyer requirements, and have yet to have a problem with a buyer. Did not even think about that lol

Everyone I have dealt with on eBay as a seller has been great, with one exception. That was a product destroyed in shipping before I knew about packaging things well enough they can be thrown out the back of the UPS truck though.

no dont get me wrong! i have those same requirements listed and would probably be dealing with even more idiots

For selling a few items there shouldnt be a problem but ive sold close to 40 items in the last 2 weeks and 1 or 2 problem buyers is enough to WRECK a seller account with no recourse,

Yea, that's true but at least an ebayer's rating can "heal" with time:
The positive Feedback percentage is calculated based on the total number of positive and negative Feedback ratings for transactions that ended in the last 12 months, excluding repeat Feedback from the same member in the same week.

Note: This could mean that the number of ratings used for this calculation is different from the same number shown in the Recent Ratings table on the left.

Positives
Positives + Negatives

This member's 12 Month Feedback ratings
Positives: 14Negatives: 0

This member's Positive Feedback percentage

14 + 0
= 100.0%

I scrutinize a buyer's(sometimes a sellers) feedbacks, and sometimes find that even though they have a 100% rating(past 12 mo.) that they have "laid low" for a period and a closer look reveals some pretty telling negs from earlier times. Also, some ebayers attempt to "refurb" their ratings by making a bunch of low $$ buys(trinkets & junk) to water-down the negatives they've gotten.

Years ago the calculation was based on total all-time feedbacks, not just the last year. That really left a stigma on an ebayer that was hard to shake.

Before it could heal, but the problem is the very misleading DSR system, sellers are suspended with a DSR of 4 yet ebay calls 4 a "good" rating, so even good sellers will get nailed by a crappy system

alright called up ebay and said the buyers information has been invalid for a while his phone has been disconnected and they removed his negs, so using the system i was able to get all of my bogus negs removed --

ebay used to never help customers over the phone have they turned the corner ?

I'm not a big ebayer but I haven't had problems selling, although I don't particularly like eBay for all the fees it is the most known such site and gets a wide audience. I've had few problems as a buyer and they were generally resolved satisfactorily because I try not to be a raving lunatic butthole when there is a problem.

Back