• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

girl needs a new laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wasp9166

been out of the loop fpr a while with my builds, never had or needed a laptop.................this is what she has now, and its pretty awful

toshiba celeron(r) 1.5g 512mb ram ( as much as it would let me upgrade it to,lol)

so, some opinions on what would be a decent step up while not being overly expensive,probably anything right? .....................and where to get other than newegg? maybe pc connection? shes worried a used off ebay will crap out so...............

also, how are verizons' air cards? she has a verizon phone, i told her maybe theyd give her a discount and a good rate on an air card

I picked up dell xps 1330 for 700 which keeps me very happy.

As goes for other thing, get blackberry and tether, cheaper

Check the dell outlet. You can get a refurbed Studio 15 with a 2GHZ C2D, 250GB HD, and 4GB's memory for $540. Add is an outlet coupon and you can have a screaming deal.

I would avoid Acers at all cost, they are cheap, but generally very poorly designed.

Check out Slickdeals.net they usually put out awesome laptop deals for around 500 bucks every other week or so. Just be ready to order when the deal is available.

what is your price range btw?

does she want it for portability? or to save space?
will she be intending to take it around with her out of the house?
is battery life a concern? bigger battery = more runtime = more weight.
what size of screen does she want? bigger screen = bigger laptop = more weight (unless you pay $$$$$).
Glossy or Matte screen? Glossy is nice if you can control the lighting, not always so much so if you're outdoors.
Depending on that, you should have a clearer vision of what you should be looking for?

Personally, i've gone through about 5-6 laptops in the past few years, settled on an X61s (for now), it gives me the power I need, along with the portability and battery life. At some point, i'll move to another ultra-portable. Netbooks aren't for me, i need more power than that.

What about a netbook? You don't need an overly powerful pc for those uses, and a netbook is portable, can have long battery life and is cheaper too than normal laptops.

well, she wanted the new gateway that bestbuy only seems to have

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370441&type=product&id=1218093004316

both stores closest to me were sold out, must be a hot item

so she got this, i was using it, let me tell you, i hate vista after an hour, and the touch pad? oh my god, it was clicking and dragging everything, i was ****ed..............even with sensitivity way up...............id have to use mouse and thats it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9371477&type=product&id=1218093383615

first thing i did was delete google , amazon software, norton and install avast ;)

I have a Acer laptop and so does a couple of other people in my family, they are actually really well designed and work great. My mum and dad had a HP which broke after 18 months and my Acer is still pounding on after 2 years.

Have a look at Dells or Acers, both good quality and cheap in price.

BTW, you can turn off the click feature of the pad & just use the buttons for clicking & the pad for moving the cursor.

Oh yeah, I never allowed Norton to start. I just uninstalled it & install Avast too. :)

Back