• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Q6600 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bottomsup

Hi,

I'm currently running a Q6600 and the max it will do on my 965P DS3 board is 300x9. This is fine for my needs, but the guy I bought this chip from had it up to 400fsb so I'm looking for a better board to tinker.

On my DS3 it won't go higher no matter how much voltage I give so I think its the 4 phase power holding me back.

I don't want to spend a ton and would consider used but am not sure which brand/chipset is best for clocking the 65nm quads. I assume the answer to this is fairly well known since these boards have been out so long?

Thanks

Aye, and if your trying to get a good overclock, don't skimp on the money. Try the classifieds here, you can typically get 10-20% or better off of a good board. Otherwise, find out what a good board is and look at prices. Look for people with Q6600s in their sigs and what their overclock is.

I am running a Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR with my Q6600, and for a budget board, it clocks very nicely. I have it at 333x9 right now, but didn't have any issues running at 400x8 with stock volts. 400x9 needed a little bit more voltage, and temps were way too high for my liking considering summer in Arizona is torture for an OC'd CPU. If I run at 400x8, temps start getting a little out of control, which is why I am running 333x9 for the time being. My temps are hitting 60*C at the peak of the days heat loaded (I fold, so idle is a mystery to me), but during the night when it starts cooling off they drop to the low 50's. All in all, it is a great board, and seems to do a lot better with my quad than my brother in laws IP35-P on his G0 quad with the same VID. Once winter comes around (since I am a ways away from the desert part at 5000 feet elevation, so we do get snow) I will most likely be cranking my clocks up, and seeing if I can actually run stable at 400x9.

Back