• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q & Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathwish99

Registered
So I have a Q6600 (G0 Stepping) and will be getting a Asus P5Q (P45 chipset) motherboard. I currently have a Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (560i chipset), I get a max of about 3.0ghz overclock with it. Will the P5Q allow for more overclocking potential then the P5N32-E?

Ok with that being said I have some more questions as well.

I have a Apevia 680w Power supply (75% Efficiency, ~45A 12v Rails combined). It currently powers my BFG 8800 GTS 640mb OC fine and quad core with 4gb of ram but will this be sufficent enough power to power my PC + GTX 285?

Last edited:
No to which question? Your sig says you are running 3.8ghz? I would say thats an increase in overclock potential or were you saying no to the Apevia 680w running the 285?

lol

Sorry I was really tired, i thought "so" was "no" lol. I'm glad that there will be a performance increase for my CPU and GPU (once i get GTX 275 or 285). Do you think I should get the GTX 275 and new Power supply(run games at 1400x900) or should I stick with my current PSU and get a GTX 285

I don't see why your PSU shouldn't work with either of them. It isn't like your running SLI or anything.

In addition, while I have read there is a performance increase above a 260 GTX, I have read that it is like a 10% increase, which realistically I would never justify spending the extra money on, unless your made of money. Also, the next generation of cards is supposed to be coming out later this year, so you might be better off getting something cheap like a 260 gtx and waiting till the 300 series comes out. If you got the money to blow, go for the 285. I would imagine your PSU should handle it.

Hey

Well I got the PC all cleaned out. Wednesday my new board comes and will be organizing wires to maximize airflow, i will be not using as many fans or devices to save on power for the GTX 285. I thk I will have enough power for it im just concerned a little. I will keep you guys posted on what I do, I will be getting the GTX 275 or 285 next week and or a new power supply as well to go along with it.

When I upgraded my motherboard from a Gigabyte P35-DS3R to an Asus P5Q-Pro, I was able to go from ~3.4Ghz to 3.6Ghz with the same chip. Not sure if that was due to 6-phase power vs. 8-phase power or if it was due to Asus's LoadLine Calibration, but the P5Q-Pro is a great overclocker.

Back