• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 Motherboard, clueless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

endersbean3k1

Registered
Hey guys,

Planning a new i7 920 build, hoping to overclock it to around 4GHz or so. I'm looking to get a reliable motherboard with good performance, but I have no clue when it comes to motherboards. Planning to start with a single 260 GXT, possibly going SLI later. Planning 6 gigs of DDR3 to start, possible 12 later.

I know everyone is going to have their own preference in terms of manufacturers, but if you guys could point me at a few boards, or even other things I should be looking into, I'd appreciate the help.

I just got the MSI X58 SLi Platinum and 3gb of Crucial (for now). Rest of the parts in my sig. Purchased an 920 C0 from a member here that got it to 4.2Ghz on air. Last piece of my puzzle is the 1366 adapter for my GTZ.

My target clock is 4.0Ghz so I'm sure that's attainable. I'll post a thread on the new rebuild with results :)

4GHz is pretty easy on any i7 C0 or D0. from what I have seen on both air and water.

evga has a how to on there forum basicly step by step with the x58 sli. its very easy.

i hear the x58-ud3 is supposed to be a good begginers i7 board

anyone know if the x58 p6t is any good?

Hey guys, I like this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049 , and I think its the same one Brolloks mentioned in the thread antipesto linked.

Any thoughts on the onboard sound? I was going to throw in a cheap sound card, but I'm not exactly an audiophile or anything, so what do you guys thing?

Otherwise what do you guys thing of the board: ease of use/features/stability/etc?

Thats a very nice board.And onboard sound is fine now adays.I have X-FI Xtreme gamer and it sounds great.But when i hook my Z-4's to my onboard audio its sounds pretty dam good to.Even though the X-FI sounds better the onboard sound isnt bad at all.I wouldnt worry about if your not gonna have a nice speaker system etc The onboard will do just fine for games and listening to music if you dont have audophiles ear.You will be surpprized

Any of the following mid range X58 boards will give you very good OC results at a affordable price...very easy bios as well to work with

EVGA X58 LE ... read my review here : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=609053

DFI JR X58

Asus Rampage Gene

Gigabyte X58 UD4P

If you want something stronger the Asus Rampage Extreme II, Foxconn Bloodrage or Gigabyte X58 Xtreme will maximize your OC

I have had all of the above so feel free to ask any questions :)

just to share, in my thread someone mentiond sata 3 and usb 3 motherboareds are coming out in a matter of days,
so when they are released there will be more options available and the price of current x58's will drop

Alright, sweet. I think I'm going to go for this board. That OC looked effortless, and I'll be happy with 4GHz. Thanks for the review Brolloks.

antipesto - I'm really crunched for time, but if the new ones come out in the next week or so and I haven't already bought all my parts I might go for one/rejoice that my price will have dropped. Thanks for the tip though.

Back