• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eheim pump running off PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight1976

Registered
I need some info on how to run my Eheim 1250 from the psu or through a molex connector off the psu(I think i read about some guy doin that). Please help a brother out i want to get this bad boy hooked up!! Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

If your powersupply has the male and female power connectors on the back then you can plug the pump into that using what used to be called a monitor extention cable. This would allow you to turn on the computer and have the pump come on at the same time. If your powersupply does not have that socket on it, as most of them do not, then you would have to modify that supply to add that socket. This is probably more work than you are interested in and may not even be possible, depending on the supply.

You can NOT connect most pumps to a molex connector. Pumps run on 110 A.C., molex connectors supply 12V D.C. not compatable at all.

Tell us what powersupply you have and we may be able to tell you more.

I have a pice of shiz Vlaue Line 300 watt power supply. PS-300w is the model number. THanks for any help you can give me.

I put an outlet inside of a PSU to solve the problem of getting AC inside the case. The PSU has a switch on the back so I wired the plug up to the switched side so it is easy to turn it on/off. This also is a saftey measure as you can turn the comp on unless the pump is on.

I opened up my Antec 400w PSU and managed to cram a relay inside it. The DPDT relay is connected to the main AC Hot and Neutral right at the jack. The outputs from the relay run out through one of the slits in the PSU case to a small terminal block with protective plastic shield. The Relay coil is connected to the +12V inside the PSU and when it comes up, the relay closes and provides AC power to ther terminal strip. Here's a picture of the Terminal strip. You can see the Hot and Neutral wires from my pump going to it. The safety ground from the water pump was simply lugged to the PC chassis. You can't quite see it out of the bottom of the picture. It was not all that hard to implement.

Hoot
Dsc00024.jpg

THanks for the info guys! I write reviews and mod guides at www.hardwarepub.com. I solved my problem by reading HOot's message. I have a secondary PSU that uses the same black green and white power connectors tha i mounted and added a external power connection. Soooooo i am removing the second PSU and running my pump off of it. It has a in line switch. So thanks Hoot!! ill send you picks of the completed project. Thanks a ton you guys! ill be hangin out here for a while i need to get access to the classifieds again lol i am the guy that buys all your old hardware!:)

You should just leave the pump running 24/7 if possible. They are design for it. Starting and stoping actually give the most wear on the pump.

ken257 said:
I put an outlet inside of a PSU to solve the problem of getting AC inside the case. The PSU has a switch on the back so I wired the plug up to the switched side so it is easy to turn it on/off. This also is a saftey measure as you can turn the comp on unless the pump is on.

whoa thats nice, where did you learn to do that?

Back