• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android phones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hopefully there will be a flood of new android phones, and lower prices to boot. I was close to getting an iphone, but I know there will be better phones what come out in the next year or so.

Tmobile my touch will be out in the stores in a month. It is already out for order through online.

good to know, maybe I wont rush out to get the HTC Dream just yet then

Just a note, the other phones are not supposed to have a physical keyboard, which can be a good and bad thing.

The G1 Does and is very hackable. The downside is that the hardware is already starting to show its age with the introduction of Hero.

Ya the keyboard on the Dream was what i was actually after, thanks for that bit of info, that was the important part for me

From what I have read so far other HTC phones on the way will not have a slide out keyboard.

I large portion of the HTC Android community maintains they will not upgrade from a G1 till another version with a keyboard comes out.

Virtual keyboard is only good for on the move typing (quick mms or entering an address in maps while driving). Otherwise VK sucks.

On the subject I was wondering if there is much difference between the Android that comes with the G1 (which I believe is the 1.0) and the 1.5 that comes with the Dream?

I suppose I will google it, but Brutal seems to know what he is talking about.
The G1's are cheaper to buy outright then the Dreams are

The original was 1.0, then 1.1 and now 1.5 which is Cupcake.

If you go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=448 you will see all of the various "hacked" versions.

Basically the fall into about 4 categories.

Original Cupcake version 1.5 (True Dream Version)

The below are Hacked versions of different Phones, hacked "root" versions to work on G1.

Ion: Like 1.5 but very fast.

Rogers: Canadian Version.

Hero: Very pretty but very slow and buggy.

I don't think Hero will ever really run on the G1 because the hardware differences. The Hero would be a nice phone to have, but it is $$$ and not available here yet.

The Rogers was only recently hacked to use Root.

Ion (the one I use) very fast and very reliable. Pretty screen, I currently use Soullife's Ion Mod.

Original Cupcake is nice if you want to stick to an unrooted phone. There are plenty of good apps to include Themes.

By the way, you should see the traffic on that site. Its no BS forums with Hard love so don't feel down if your thread gets removed. Search all the threads before you post a question. You would be surprised how many questions are repeated hourly.

Back