• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any netbook overheating issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobelot

Registered
This fall I'll be heading off to college and was considering purchasing a netbook for my computer needs. I only need it for word processing, internet/e-mail, and watching some videos (720p is fine for me).

At this point I'm deciding between the ASUS Eee 1000HE and 1000HA-P netbooks. However my concern is that since it will be the only PC I'm using, my eyes will get considerably worse straining to look at a 10" screen. I thought about connecting it to a 17" monitor for when I'm on it for a long time writing essays, but I heard this causes overheating issues. Anyone have any experience with this or other possible solutions to my dilemma?

Thanks to all in advance.

I thought about connecting it to a 17" monitor for when I'm on it for a long time writing essays, but I heard this causes overheating issues.

Outputting to a external screen shoulden't cause any heating issues, its the exact same as running it off the interal screen. Unless if you bump up the resolution, and even then you would have to bump up the resolution really high to really make a differece in temps if at all any difference in temps.

It should be fine,

It gets warm but not hot. I often do this at home, with no problems. However the power cube (its tiny!) gets hot (I measured up to 60C), but that is normal for this brick.

the integraded GMA 950 gfx in netbooks runs stock at 166mhz.... there is a program for windows that you can OC it to 400mhz, and no one has had any issues with running it ocd and there is very little if any hit on battery life. thus outputting to a bigger monitor isnt gonna cause any heat issues.

NOW with all that said i would like to suggest getting a cheap 14-15incher actual laptop. A netbook is a great lil thing for note taking in class, web browsing and whatnot on the go. but the performance just isnt there for 24/7 use. for an extra 200 bucks ontop of a 300 dollar netbook, you can get a SO MUCH MORE powerfull laptop its not even funny.

Do you already have the bigger monitor? if not then there is ZERO point in going with a netbook around 300 bucks when you can get a Dell inspiron 14 for $449.

2.0ghz T4200 C2D dual core
2gb of ram
160gb hd
1366x768 rez LED backlit screen 14in diag
G45 chipset
cd dvd burner

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/note...refid=laptop-inspiron-14&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=lthp

IMO thats a better way to go. Now dont get me wrong i have a dell mini 9, LOVE it, but theres no way i could ever replace my desktop with it, even if i hooked it up to my 22inch screen, my mouse and keyboard.

the integraded GMA 950 gfx in netbooks runs stock at 166mhz.... there is a program for windows that you can OC it to 400mhz, and no one has had any issues with running it ocd and there is very little if any hit on battery life. thus outputting to a bigger monitor isnt gonna cause any heat issues.

NOW with all that said i would like to suggest getting a cheap 14-15incher actual laptop. A netbook is a great lil thing for note taking in class, web browsing and whatnot on the go. but the performance just isnt there for 24/7 use. for an extra 200 bucks ontop of a 300 dollar netbook, you can get a SO MUCH MORE powerfull laptop its not even funny.

Do you already have the bigger monitor? if not then there is ZERO point in going with a netbook around 300 bucks when you can get a Dell inspiron 14 for $449.

2.0ghz T4200 C2D dual core
2gb of ram
160gb hd
1366x768 rez LED backlit screen 14in diag
G45 chipset
cd dvd burner

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/note...refid=laptop-inspiron-14&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=lthp

IMO thats a better way to go. Now dont get me wrong i have a dell mini 9, LOVE it, but theres no way i could ever replace my desktop with it, even if i hooked it up to my 22inch screen, my mouse and keyboard.

Yeah I demoed the netbook again today, it's handy sometimes but I think you're right and I won't be able to use it 24/7.

Thanks for the advice.

ya a netbook is a cool lil laptop for sure. they are powerfull for what they are, make the perfect note taker, web browser, online chatter, for inclass n whatnot... but for 24/7 use it would be hard to pull off.

Back