• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undecided between RE2 and EX58-UD5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

I've worked my way up to a Maximus II Formula on my E8600, and have loved it. So naturally, looking into i7 setups, I'm looking at the Rampage Extreme 2. But damn, almost $400 for a motherboard... Anyway, I think I've narrowed down to either that or the Gigabyte EX58-UD5, for $100 less. Is the RE2 worth the extra $100? Just looking for a few opinions.

Sheeeeeeet I wish I had the $400 to toss on the RE2. No question the best board ever made for the i7. However the EX58-UD5 is no slouch as I've seen mad oc's with them.

I would say if you have the $$, then go with the RE2. If you're on a budget and can't see spending the extra $100, then the EX58-UD5 is the way to go.

I wanted the Asus P6T, but unfortunately fate had other plans. I'm happy with the MSI tho as it's my first i7 build so I'm learning :)

Well, my current list is a D0 from Microcenter for $200, OCZ Reaper 6gb for $135, and either motherboard. Would be right around $625 with the Gigabyte, $725 with a RE2. Ebay\classifieds should get me about $450 back for my Maximus II Formula, E8600 ES, and 8gb of Dominators, so about $200 out of pocket for the Gigabyte and $300 for the RE2. Just still undecided which one to go with.

The Rampage cant hold a candle to the Evga Classified...Now that is the best board made for the I7

The Rampage cant hold a candle to the Evga Classified...Now that is the best board made for the I7

Thats not really true in this case.

If he was buying an i7 975 cpu and wanted to bench on LN2, and have the very best board you can for that. Then yes, the Classified is number one.

If you want to run a 920 D0 at 4 - 4.2 24/7 then you are paying to much for little if anything more.

The evga board I had, was the biggest PITA high end board I have ever used on air!
But man was it fast on LN2, clocked an easy 100Mhz more than the other i7 boards I've used.
But note, this was on LN2, on air, I hated it.

i was stuck between theese two boards earlier today, but after some research, they both OC just as well

there is a i7 motherboared comparrison chart on toms hardware. and they both perform equall well in ocing

re2 looks sexyyyyyy

The sexyness of the RE2 is what's alluring me to it over the Gigabyte, but that extra $100 could go much better towards somethings else. An additional 6gb of ram, a SSD, or a 2nd 4890... Sooo many choices :D

ud5 looks rubbish in the pictures, the all make the board look light blue, but its actually more darker blue :)

i think $100 towards an ssd would be just..WOW.....and the difference between the RE2 an ud5....at most....would be a few mhz./ 1fps...

It is darker blue and looks totally sharp IMO. The heatsinks are lighter blue with silver writing. It looked like ****e on pictures, but i decided to buy it anyway, couse of my budget... And humm, it not only has almost great performance as RE2, but also looks damn good. When running, there are few LEDs on board, which is nice too :)

Back