• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot laptop battery...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I gambled on eBay and picked up 2 untested M7318 batteries (yeah I ranted on selling untested but sometimes one gotta go by the gut) and they arrived 2 days ago. One of them held up almost 5 hours (idle time, energy saving disabled, probably 2 hours DVD playback) after charging overnight so $20 shipped for 2 was a hell of a deal. The second mystery battery however is giving me trouble.

One LED lights up and only blinks rapidly, and if I leave it in overnight the battery was very hot in the morning. I'm not talking the usual left laptop on all night with energy saver disabled, but "get me oven mitten, spatula, and some eggs" hot! And it still wouldn't do better than flash 1 LED.

Hopelessly dead?

For Macintosh Powerbooks BTW, the Pismo specifically.

Must be pretty hot if he quoted getting a oven mit lol.

My friend had a scooter battery charger that was most likely of chinese design, and it would warp the plastic the charger was in :eek: I would dump the battery if it doesn't work, no use trying to get something that can potentially burst into flames.

Li-ion battery and it was about too hot to handle, I'd think in the 150 degree F range. Pismo laptop doesn't make that much heat under normal operation.

I'm taking this one to a recycling place so it can be disposed of properly and not clogging landfill.

Back