• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA E758-TR, Core i7 965 & XMP DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ErikG

I am an experienced PC builder but have never OCed a system before. I am fairly lost. I have experimented with "dummy OC" settings and the RAM XMP settings. Currently I'm at 3.6 ghz and XMP2 settings in bios.

I believe it's better to set the OC settings in the BIOS than it is via the ELEET utility. I did flash the bios a few weeks ago to what was current then. I'm at work right now, can't determine it's exact level.

Does anyone have a system similar to mine with recommended settings I can use? I'm sure this has been asked a million times...

Thanks for taking pity on an "old dog" :)

Erik

Hi Eric

I'm running a 920 on an eVGA X58 SLI mobo, Corsair DDR3 1600MHz and 2 eVGA GTX275's. Similar hardware so I thought I'd reply with my settings.

Multiplyer @ 19x + Blck(Host Frequency) @ 213 = 4GHz oc
Memory Frequency @ 1067 with the Blck 213 = 1700MHz oc

Vcore 1.275v
QPI PLL 1.275v
CPU VTT 1.25v
Dimm Voltage 1.65v
CPU PLL 1.85v

Room temp 20-25c
Prime95 stable 24/7 with max temps of 80c
Extreme gaming only sees temps hit 50-60c

OC'd the 275's 713/1517/1259
Not extreme I know but adds 10fps to games like Crysis

As far as overclocking the cpu goes, I would initially set the Vcore, QPI PLL and CPU VTT to 1.40v in bios, reboot and get your temp monitor up and running, then start a Prime95 run using small ftt's. Let it run through the 8k and 10k tests, keeping an eye on the temps(shouldn't run hotter than 85c), then if it's stable, start reducing your Vcore, using E-LEET, one reduction per prime cycle, until Prime fails. Set your Vcore, in bios, at the last know good config, re-run prime through the 8k and 10k tests, and if all is good then follow same procedure for your QPI Pll and CPU VTT voltages.

Another note is that my particular cpu liked the 19x multiplyer and the higher Blck of 213, rather than running at 20x + 200Mhz. You running the 965 opens up other avenues, so play around with these setting to see which one works best for your cpu,

At the end of the day, my settings are only a guide. I have seen a few guy's who have been able to run much lower voltages, but in saying that I have seen many others using similar or much higher voltages than myself.

I'm online most days so any other questions can be answered within a 24hr period

Good luck Eric, I hope this helps you get where you want to be :)

Last edited:
depends on what you want to do..u purchased a EE with an unlocked multiplier..so if you want..you could just up the multiplier along with a little cpu vcore/vtt and surely get 4ghz stable
or you can go the longer route and up the bclk which is more beneficial but also can be more time consuming ie adjusting more voltages and finding stability of more then one thing..either way 4ghz should be easy to pull off...
heat is usually the reason for an overclock on a i7 to come to a hault..

so i guess first and more importantly..what are u using to cool ur i7???

Back