• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to buy an HP dv7-1260us...comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I don't really know much about notebook hardware these days, but this looks like a pretty good deal on a laptop:

• 17", 1440x900
  • 4GB DDR2
  • Turion X2 RM-74 (2.2GHz, 1MB L2)
  • Radeon 3200
  • Blu-Ray drive with HDMI out
  • 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • 7.75 lbs
  • 8 cell battery
$800 at CompUSA. A similarly speced machine on HP.com runs over $1000, and I haven't been able to find a laptop with Blu-Ray and HDMI out for this price. Should I get it?

Ever time I buy a laptop, it gets smaller and smaller. Smaller is better. 17 I would use for desktop replacement

That is a decent price for the specs but HP quietly refreshed the DV7 line last spring. The DV7-1XXX are old models and DV7-2XXX are the newer models. The newer models have 17.3" LED backlit 1600X900 displays and Radeon 45XX and 46XX video cards which make a decent DTR and good for mid level gaming. You can almost always get a better deal on pre-configured HP notebooks than CTO's.

I had a 15.4inch before. I found it too big and heavy. Now I have a 14inch and I really love it. Fits in my backpack perfectly and it's light.

It's also an HP and although it has a 2.1ghz dual core AMD cpu, the rest of the specs are the same minus the blue ray, but it does have HDMI.

The size is certainly going to be impacted by his intended use. I love my 17" and couldn't imagine having a smaller one. But mine is a desktop replacement and hasn't left the house since I got it last year. Heck, I don't even have a carrying case for it. For something to be carried around a 14" is a very good size. I would be hunting the Dell outlet for a deal on and E6400.

If you going to game on it at all you don't necessarily want the Radeon 3200 in it. ATI 3200HD is, I believe, your onboard (built into the motherboard) video display device. It uses processing time from your main CPU, and is best for light PC usage (Web surfing, low res videos, email etc). It will not perform well in gaming situations.

my mobile experiences correlate with meion's. my first notebook was a 15.4"; went to a 13.3" for a year; and am picking up a 10.1" tomorrow evening.

Back