• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TEC PSU recommendations needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ralphing

I'm going to be running to pelts. One 226w 15v 24a and one 80w 15v 8a.
So I need a 12-15v PSU that can put out over 30 amps. Single output and nonvariable are fine cause I'm trying to go somewhat cheaply.

Thanks!

Hoot hit the nail on the head. Your going to need your own nuclear reactor for something like that ;)

I know astron makes good quality power supplies...but there not cheep at all. I have a 13.8v 30amp astron for a pelt. I had to do a mod to the power supply to add a case fan on top to keep her cool :D and it works great. In your case...I know Astron makes a few models...check them out...I got mine off ebay used. There outrageous new, For a cheaper brand you can try Pyramid...but don't know what you'll get, I'm not sure if they'll put out what they say they can.

Your going to be running some juice...whooo...don't lick the wires :p

*edit*

Just checked out ebay for ya, 13.8v 35A Astrons used - $75 coming form somebody with a electronics store liquidation.

also found this one...do a search for
New Mean Well SP-500-15 Power Supply 15V 32A
That might do the trick.

Last edited:
Your welcome :D
Has NASA cleared you to use that much power ?
Who's your local power suplier ? I need some new power company stock since Eneron went south :D ok...bad political joke. Any whoo...enjoy, it shouldn't break the bank on the electric bill. If you need any more advice let us know.

There's a couple brand new Mean Well SP-500-15 Power Supplies (15V 32A) on ebay. I'm wondering if I'll need a little extra "headroom" or if this psu will be enough. $75 for a $307 psu sounds nice.

zoopa_man said:
Your welcome :D
Has NASA cleared you to use that much power ?
Who's your local power suplier ? I need some new power company stock since Eneron went south :D ok...bad political joke. Any whoo...enjoy, it shouldn't break the bank on the electric bill. If you need any more advice let us know.

Funny thing is... I'm off the grid:burn:

Ralphing said:
There's a couple brand new Mean Well SP-500-15 Power Supplies (15V 32A) on ebay. I'm wondering if I'll need a little extra "headroom" or if this psu will be enough. $75 for a $307 psu sounds nice.

Astrons, I can speak for. I have a rack mount 13.8V 50A under the table here for my Amateur Radio stuff, as well as several other less powerful ones.

Mean Well, I have never heard of. If they say that they will deliver 32A at 15V, make sure that is continuous duty cycle, not intermittent duty cycle. Pelts are continuous duty. Whatever they claim, get it in writing! I'm sure they mean well... :D
Sorry I been waiting to work that in since I saw the name.

Hoot.

I have to agree with ya hoot. My astron is indestructable. I did some math worng once and had something goofed up...I forget now..was along time ago...anyway....the heat sinks on the back were so hot I could see the heat rising off of them. THey might as well have been red because they were hot enought to be. That projct is wat inspired me to add the fan on top. They really are nice power suplies. I'd get another but Money is always an issue. Stupid college. LOL I tell ya..some times that piece of paper costs too much money. But watch out world when I finaly get the darn thing. hehehe

Hi,
You guys convinced me:D I just bought an Astron RS-50A off ebay for 100 bucks. WOOT!

Thanks for your help guys!;)

And here's the new beast!

i-1.JPG

:burn:

I'm running a Meanwell SP300-24 on my pelt and it's been great so far. It has a thermostatically controlled fan built into it and the model I have is very compact. That was a heck of a price on that SP500 one on ebay. I gave almost $150 for the Meanwell that I bought from a vendor. The spec sheet for mine is on this link here. . Here is a pic of the one I have.

Back