• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 800 in netbook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

I recently bought an ASUS 1005HA and I'm looking to upgrade the ram in it. Would it hurt the battery life or hurt the netbook itself to put 2gb's worth of DDR2 800 with tight timings in it.

it will not hurt anything besides your pocket that is if 800 mhz is more expensive , as long as it is 1.8 volts it should run but it will be downclocked to 533 mhz like all Atom netbooks.

it will not hurt anything besides your pocket that is if 800 mhz is more expensive , as long as it is 1.8 volts it should run but it will be downclocked to 533 mhz like all Atom netbooks.

Seriously? the atom platform will not allow for higher than 533mhz clock on the memory

Same as any other notebook...memory normally runs at the FSB speed of the CPU

It won't hurt anything. But laptop size ram (SODIMMs) at 800MHz are a bit more expensive than 667MHz. Like mentioned before the 800MHz RAM would be downclocked to what ever the FSB is running at (533MHz/667MHz). The RAM can not force a voltage so if anything the IMC could set a voltage too low for the RAM to be stable, but I very much doubt that would be the case. If it is running at a slower frequency then the lower voltage setting should be fine.

If your current RAM is single sided and the new RAM is double sided then by simply having more chips on the DIMM will use more power. This will reduce battery life but I'm not sure you will notice the difference.

it really depends on the ram chips... the stock 512mb 8 chip ddr2 533mhz chip in my dell mini 9 used 2.1w, my new ddr2 800mhz 2gb chip with twice the ram chips uses 2.0w @ 800mhz.... so less at 533.

i wouldnt bother unless your going to overclock it...i remember you used to be able to overclock some of the older asus netbooks but i dont know if you can with that one...maybe setfsb???

i wouldnt bother unless your going to overclock it...i remember you used to be able to overclock some of the older asus netbooks but i dont know if you can with that one...maybe setfsb???

Even at that the difference would be so small its not hardly worth the effort. Just stick with 667 and call it a day.

N280 atom netbooks like the 1000he & 1005ha run 667mhz fsb. It is possible to oc the fsb with 3rd party tools at the cost of battery life, iirc. Google has more infos!!

it really depends on the ram chips... the stock 512mb 8 chip ddr2 533mhz chip in my dell mini 9 used 2.1w, my new ddr2 800mhz 2gb chip with twice the ram chips uses 2.0w @ 800mhz.... so less at 533.

is that w as in watts or you really meant volts?

Usually getting 800mhz won't hurt, since the timings are tighter at 533, and the memory should know it, check in cpu-z

My thinkpad t61 runs 5300, I have 4-4-4-8 latency g.skill in it :)

Actually the tighter timmings helped in superpi, not that I benchmark my laptop....

Back