• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for netbook and windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bjm2587

Hey, I'm in the market for a netbook and I would really like to get windows 7 on it when it comes out in october. Most companies are advertising their computers get free upgrades to 7 but only if the pc is purchased with vista premium, business, or ultimate pre-installed. All the netbooks I see either have xp or linux. Where can I find a netbook that will allow me to get the free upgrade to 7 or do I just have to wait until 7 comes out and buy a netbook with it pre-installed? How does microsoft plan on offering netbook users the upgrade anyway? Download or usb maybe?

Couple questions for you:

Have you thought about buying a netbook with linux on it already and getting the free trial of windows 7?

Are you a student in IEEE? I'm fairly sure if you are you are able to get free vista/xp/w7

There are ways to install windows via USB but it takes a little bit. Mostly just formatting the flash drive to fat16 and running some dos files. I love my netbook. I have a Asus 900a running Windows xp. I upgraded the harddrive to 32 gig and it flys. I need to put some more ram into it, but I'll get to that later. I have also put a touchscreen controller inside of it so I have a touchscreen which makes it amazing for sitting on the couch/bed and surfing.

Dont want the free trial I want the full os. My school has something called the msdn academic alliance. They have xp vista and 7 beta and rc. Maybe when it comes out they'll have the rtm available..

of course the choice is up to you, but as far as i'm concerned windows 7 isn't really what it's cracked up to be as far as netbooks go. here's win7 vs. XP review for netbooks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-xp,2339-3.html

now of course, the first thing ppl are going to do is jump on me and say that this is the RC and not the final product; that drivers are immature; that tom's is not trustworthy etc. However at the very least it's something to consider when deciding whether win7 is that important for your netbook purchase.

what's particularly alarming are the battery life benchmarks.

Those benchmarks are interesting. And yes I know its a stripped down version, what I meant when I said I want the full version is that I want something that wont expire after 30 days. To be honest with you guys I'd be happy with running linux but we dont live in a linux world (yet) and all my school stuff is windows oriented. AND to be honest after using vista for over a year going back to xp seems archaic. Where's my search bar in the start menu and all the other improvements. So I take it so far none of the netbook makers are anticipating the win7 release...

netbooks run fine with vista you just need a fast hdd...my friend has a netbook with vista and a ssd and its pretty quick..WAY faster than a stock netbook

vista / win7 its all the same... believe me i have messed around and tweaked xp to the max on my netbook, and there is no way in hell i would ever consider running win7 or vista on it.

8gb ssd 75MBps Reads, 35MBps writes, 1.6ghz atom, 2gb of ram, (DELL MINI 9)

well i had a chance to use my friends netbook before he sold it..it was a asus netbook same specs as yours with vista but he had a vertex ssd and it was pretty good..

it wasnt a speed demon but it was a lot faster than stock man

nd4spdbh2, what's the dell like? my XPS M1330 left a bad taste in my mouth... finally sold it. that mini any good?

its great for takin notes in class, light web browsing, chatting on aim n such... but much more than that is meh... flash video brings it to its knees... the 1.6ghz atom just doesnt have the cpu powa.

i would never use it 24/7 or if i had to take notes for an extended period of time... its great for that 1.5hr class thats boring as hell, other than that it gets used very little at home.

Why ?! I have been trying to find something wrong with the notebook but so far its been very good to me.

sorry for OT .

yeah sorry for being OT as well but i don't think answering the question is a big deal. well i loved my M1330 for the first 6 months till the 8400M GS failures came along. i had a total of 4 mobo and 3 HSF replacements in 12 months from overheating and graphics chip failure issues. i sold it recently and bought an MSI Wind U100. i hope your M1330 has worked out better than mine did.

screenie of overheat!

Back