• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked Iphone - getting att to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ecca

SO I have one but I want to go with AT&T now

I went to at and t and they put a sim in it and it wont work the guy said I have to reset it.
I use a chip over the sim and currently using Tmobile I hate it no 3g.

1) how do I reset it like that
2) will it be 100% factory? I dont want to be stuck with a bricked iPhone

thank you

Just plug your phone into your computer Via the USB cable that comes with the I-phone.

Then load up I-tunes ( If it doesn't auto-load )

Let it back up your phone ( It will do it automatically ), then click on your phone on the menu on the left.

I-tunes will then give you 2 options, " check for updates, restore ".

Click Restore, that will reset your I-phone back to factory settings. Note though, that you will lose your unlock/jailbreak, along with anything you have saved on your phone, be it pictures, or music or video's.

Once It's restored, everything should be ready to go for AT&T to activate it.

and for the record, questions about the I-phone should technically be put in the Laptops/PDAs/SFF section, which is in the Specialized computing section. here's a linky to that section. http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157

awesome

is there a worst case senario?

Not really. Just use the original sim if you have one, or one provided by ATT. Just start fresh with a "standard" 3.0 IPSW from iTunes.

Restoring ipods/iPhones is generally quite safe. I have "bricked" a few ipods installing linux, and just easily restored them by entering the failsafe restore mode.

iPhone is no exception. :clap:

You can even jailbreak it after getting a normal plan all set back up.

I restored it and now it has a message "Insert a valid SIM with no pin lock to activate iPhone"

Am I ready for AT&T now?

You can even jailbreak it after getting a normal plan all set back up.

Yup!

After you take the phone to AT&T, and it's activated, you can then jailbreak the I-phone. It will still work perfectly on the AT&T network, with all the bells and whistles.

Except you will have access via Cydia ( Kinda like the app store, but for programs, hacks, and applications that apple won't normally let you put on your phone ), which will let you download and install hundreds upon hundreds of useful apps, themes, and hacks.

I love my I-phone, But If I couldn't jailbreak it...I don't think I'd want to use it anymore. I had grabbed the 3.0 update before there was a jailbreak for it, So I had to go without my phone being jailbroken for over a week. That one week SUCKED. I was so used to having all my favorite programs from cydia, that once I didn't have them...my phone felt nearly useless.

man im a old school jail breaker last time i jailbroke a iphone was back in the 2.1 days when you used ziphone... i jailbroke a iphone yesterday using redsnow/ultrasnow and installed cydia

and wow i dont like it at all!!! i cant seem to find anything usefull with the stock sources are there some better sources i dont know about out there?...

i dont remember what ziphone installed when you used to jailbreak with them but i really liked the apps and the program you used to download them..

cydia seems to messy... or maybe im missing something

what do you think zexmarquies01

and wow i dont like it at all!!! i cant seem to find anything usefull with the stock sources are there some better sources i dont know about out there?...

i dont remember what ziphone installed when you used to jailbreak with them but i really liked the apps and the program you used to download them..

cydia seems to messy... or maybe im missing something

what do you think zexmarquies01

What are you looking for that isn't there? :confused:

I have so much crap on mine I can't ever possibly use it all.

well, on the main screen of cydia, there is a spot that says "more package sources". that for one helps a bit, as that will give you more sources to find apps.

Also, it helps to go to other iphone modding sites, such as www.modmyi.com lots of people and news there about the iphone, apps, and repositories.

Plus, I never know what kind of app/program i'm looking for. So I just tend to test apps that sound interesting. Naturally, some suck ***. But others, are great, and I would hate to use my I-phone without them.

AdBlock is a program I can't go without. blocks ads while online. It costs a couple dollars, but it's totally worth it in my opinion.

I also am in love with MySMS. mainly because it has the ability to let you quick-reply. text messages and your replies will be in a slightly translucent box that's overtop whatever you're doing ( except games. ). If you're online, you can reply to a text without closing the browser. Hell, you can recieve a text, and reply while you are talking on the phone. It's the most handy app I have.

Categories is also another great app. Lets you create folders, and put other apps into them. All my games are in a games app, some of my tools type apps are in a tools folder. Really helps clear the clutter on your spring board.

Also, some of the themes are nice. Right now, I'm using an old style 8-bit gameboy style theme. Everything is green and black, and looks like the springboard is being displayed on an original gameboy screen.

Back