• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony Vaio PCG-792L trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blohin

Hi all,

I got this vaio of my friends which I maintain for him. Originaly I had him set with programs he used and I made him a ghost image and restore cd so he can restore it whenever he has problems.
He came yesterday to me and told me that he tried to restore it few times but it wouldnt finish the restore, so he would shut it down. (bad I know).
I try to restore it yesterday with cd I made him and it finished whole restore ok.
Problems started after I started up the computer and it came perfectly up to windows xp load screen, then bosd.
So with that happening I keep the laptop so I can take hard drive and connect it to my desktop to check it out.
I wiped hard drive clean and put it back to laptop, I started windows xp pro instalation and just before it came to show me hard drive list computer went off.
I tried to load bartpe windows xp from cd and it did fine up to the part to start windows and computer went off again.
Any thoughts?

I am sure hard drive is ok and I ran memtest on this notebook for 12 hours error free.
Oh btw it can start and run memtest and it can start and run Norton Ghost (both dos apz) without problems, but when it comes to windows no joy.

Any thoughts please?

Edited:
Model VGN-FS550P

Last edited:
Does notebook have option for selection sata mode ahci or sata

You could also try updating bios if possible.

Check if fans are on.

This notebook has ide hard drive. It has only one fan for CPU which spins on higher temp i think. I ordered earlier a headsink and fan to replace it.
Why does it shut down on same windows load screen though - just before it goes to desktop.

Can internal battery give this much trouble?

Ok, I got new heatsink and fan installed, but I am having same problem. If I format and install windows xp, it will work for a day (maybe because its on whole day while I install everything); so next day I turn it on to check and after windows logo it goes to bosd then restarts itself.
During installation I noticed that it won't remember date and time if i take main battery out and power plug.
I know these notebooks have internal battery but I got no idea where to look for it.
Can internal battery give this much trouble?

Help

have you tried booting in safe mode?

I don't think internal battery would cause problems on stock running system. Even if the battery would be dead, laptop battery sort of acts like back up until it holds charge.

How old is the computer? Does laptop has utility to diagnose hard drive?

Back