• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel DX58SO Smackover, my thoughts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Well, I purchased this board from a forum member (great seller btw, corpsejockey thanks!). I dont believe it sold as people were VERY skeptical of it. One helluva deal I feel I got (board, D0 B Batch, and Win Vista Ultimate) for $350, couldnt believe noone jumped on it!

It did take me alot of thought to finally bite and give this a shot. I havent had the board even 24 hours (in the system atleast), and I find it to be quite good.

Gripes: SATA port connectors SUCK, but how often do you pull out your hdd's? I dont do it often at all so its not THAT big of a deal. The bios. The layout is a little goofy, but once you learn to navigate it, its not a big deal. It is a little slow in responsiveness, and doesnt have all the "extras" that the bigger boards have, but it has plenty. I really like the fact that it shows you all your info in the Current, Future, Actual columns so you know what you are going to be change from/to. Only 4 DIMM slots, but this isnt a big deal as I doubt I will goto 12gb of ram (I dont even use 6gb).

Well, after overclocking for a bit, Ive been testing w/ a few hours of P95, LINX, and WPrime. Im currently at 4.1ghz STABLE 205x20 with HT enabled running 1.28v! My temps in LINX were 80c w/ HT on with watercooling. I believe I may have a bit more in this as well at this voltage, but further testing will determine that.

Would I buy this board @ newegg for the $240 retail after owning it? Definately yes UNLESS you want extreme overclcoking. It might be an Intel board, but it works DAMN well. Reviews say its one of the most stable boards, and if it turns out to be, Im impressed already with the clocking ability of it. I think its just as good as the other "budget" boards out there.

BTW, you can get these on Ebay for about $160+shipping brand new. Not a bad buy at all IMO.

alright..i got the intel deal as well..u think i should just use the board? and not buy another one or go in hassel to sell it?

Well, they are only selling for a little over $150 on ebay. Youd still need 50-100 more for a different board. Im running 4.2ghz stable @ 1.33v, which IMO, is a fine overclock especially for a board that is supposed to be bad at clocking.

You do what you want, but I wouldnt fork over another $100 for a possible 100-200 mhz. 4+ ghz will never get used anyways lol.

point made...ok i have decided! lol
btw how is that memory running for you? how you think my dark night heatsink will do for max overclock? any input will be very nice

thanks..u just saved me couple of hundred dollers!

I dont know. With HT off, you should be able to hit 4ghz, I wouldnt think much more though.

Memory is great so far, although Id go with 1866mhz ram if I knew how the dividers for the ram were set (although if you arent going over 200 bclock, 1600mhz will work fine).

Hey Intel boards arent too bad. i just got one of these boards myself and it isnt that bad. it has a pretty good feature set for the price.

so you think by selling this for $150..new in box/never opened and selling $280'ish asus p6t kind of bored will be worth it?

Do you plan on benching, or will you be happy with a nice 4ghz overclock?

If youll be happy w/ the 4ghz OC, stick with it and put that money towards a SSD.

i dont get..y ppl would buy $300ish mobo for bench only? like show up on the forums?..thats to me is a waste of money..

well i will be using for multi-task/gaming thats all..no graphic running or anything.

Plus my current setup is q9550/4gb/8800gts...i really dont need an upgrade to be honest..what you think tho?

i have a customer for i7..i dont even know where i am going to sell my q9550/asus mobo :(

Network? I really dont know what you want. Im pretty basic on the networking. I connect to other computers in the household, connect to internet, thats that. Couldnt really give you more info than that, it works lol.

Sound? I dont know, its Realtek onboard sound lol. Same quality as my P5Q-Pro is the best I can tell you. Its not bad, but I can tell you theres no difference IMO than the old Audigy 2 ZS that I had (atleast I didnt notice, but I dont have $300 set of speakers either, just a decent $70 set lol).

i dont get..y ppl would buy $300ish mobo for bench only? like show up on the forums?..thats to me is a waste of money..

The same reason people buy $1000+ CPU's, or build track-only race cars. Different strokes for different folks man. I'm sure there are things that you have that someone else would find excessive ;)

If you don't have the need for I7... I'd recommend selling that, as it hasn't depreciated in value like your Q9550 system has.

i got the big deal from intel (i7/dx58so) and im really liking this board so far. as soon as my cooler comes in its time to OC

I guess for "tech field" people you get Vista Ultimate, i7, and Intel board for like $290. After shipping and tax, its a bit more I believe. I purchased it from someone on teh forums. Made out like a bandit on the deal, I can tell you that!

Actually the deal was..

Vista Ultimate with Windows 7 Ultimate both 64 bit, I7 920, Intel Board for $290, Also get a t-shirt that has just now started shipping. Actual total with shipping and tax $325.82. Finally for rock stars like myself you get $25 voucher for some site that had nothing good for that price. Another t-shirt at best, Hoodie if you spent another $10 or so.

I have this board obviously and am having heat issues. I posted about it in the General Forums. Noctua dual fan in push and pull in HAF 932 and I was idle temp of 53c. Oh at STOCK clock. I've remounted the heatsink 3 times now. Even had friend come do it incase it was me. I've lowered core volt all way down to 1.078v p95 stable topped out at 66c, all at stock clock. Been long day.

I dunno man, I know what the original deal was, but I didnt have access to that. Purchased it from someone on the boards, Im not complaining though :D 4.2ghz of i7 power for cheap!

As far as your temps go on your CPU, how is that the boards fault? Obviously if you are having CPU temp problems, that would be an issue w/ your cooling wouldnt it? Unless your board is overvolting your QPI an incredible amount, but you should be manually setting that.

I run 75c in LINX with water @ 1.33v, so heat is not really an issue for me (and thats on a 28c ambient day, normal non-summer temps will be 4-5c cooler).

Yea I wasn't busting your balls about being wrong. Dude asked what the intel deal was I told him is all.

And please the board was built by retarded monkey's. I'm not saying it's worthless. I'm not saying it's the boards fault my temps are high. But any maker who puts 4 slots on a triple channel board is retarded. Then there is the issue of placing sata slots in just about the worst spot on the board. I bet at first they didn't even notice then someone with a brain figured it out and THEN they added 4 90 degree sata cables lol.

You got a a steal clearly anyone who ended up buying it from someone in the deal did. Heck he probably bought it for Win 7 alone to keep and made money on side selling the parts. Lots of them do it.

Back