• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to the I7, could use some help on setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdonk

I would like some help setting the bios up correctly on my new build. This seems to be the most knowledgeable place I found searching through google.

I7 920
EVGA E758-A1 X58
OCZ3P1600LV6GK (3x2GB)
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+

I don't need to overclock much, but I heard you have to OC to get 1600 out of the memory anyway so I am open to some OC, but I don't need to get anywhere near the 4ghz I see you guys getting. I do have the stock fan on the CPU at this time.

When I run prime95 now after about 5 minutes I get a crash and it gives me errors on most of the workers as soon as the test starts so I could use any help that you could offer.

Figured I would start with a default settings bios and see what you had to offer. I did flash the bios to the most recent update.

Thanks for your help,
Don

:welcome:

First thing lose the stock fan or you probably won't get anywhere I'd say OCing, I'm still waiting on my 1336 adapter for my TRUE to come in tomorrow so I can start putting my I7 together.

Stock fans aren't going to get you very far overclocking.

:beer:

*edit* not sure about that MOBO, I know there was an option in the Bios here that I could kick the RAM up to 1600 with out O/Cing, I used it intially for a bit, XMP, might be RAM specific though.

I'm new to I7's myself, but have built many others.

Last edited:
:welcome:

First thing lose the stock fan or you probably won't get anywhere I'd say OCing, I'm still waiting on my 1336 adapter for my TRUE to come in tomorrow so I can start putting my I7 together.

Stock fans aren't going to get you very far overclocking.

bull**** my friend, bull****, stock cooler isnt that bad if u mount it right and have good air flow inside of ur case. i am myself running i7 920 ( d0 revision ) @ stock hsf and im OCed to 3,675 ( 1ghz OC ) and i would say that 1 ghz oc got me pretty far OCing. my idle temps are exactly the same as they were at stock settings. max temps i reach with prime95 are +-75C and while gaming/browsing etc it never goes above 60C.

bull**** my friend, bull****, stock cooler isnt that bad if u mount it right and have good air flow inside of ur case. i am myself running i7 920 ( d0 revision ) @ stock hsf and im OCed to 3,675 ( 1ghz OC ) and i would say that 1 ghz oc got me pretty far OCing. my idle temps are exactly the same as they were at stock settings. max temps i reach with prime95 are +-75C and while gaming/browsing etc it never goes above 60C.

Nice, thats pretty darn sweet.

Yeah, but 3.6ghz on the right chip can also be obtained with stock or near stock volts. Get to 4ghz+ and see where that stock cooler gets you! The mhz vs voltage scale greately increases the higher you go.

Also, Prime95 gets you 75c, try LINX on that stock cooler, see what happens :) It wont be nearly as fun!

That's not the right way to talk to members here. Try to be more respectful and lose the profanity. Your first and only warning-

Yeah, but 3.6ghz on the right chip can also be obtained with stock or near stock volts. Get to 4ghz+ and see where that stock cooler gets you! The mhz vs voltage scale greatly increases the higher you go.

Also, Prime95 gets you 75c, try LINX on that stock cooler, see what happens :) It wont be nearly as fun!

Indeed :cool:

i am rly sorry if i ofended any1, but im sick and tired of ppl spouting lies like "dude dont even try to overclock, stock hsf is no good, it cant even cool ur chip @ stock" also i dont see why are u guys talking about " try to take it to 4 ghz and u ll see..." im not taking it any further cuz i dont need it to be @ 4ghz, im OCing it to 4ghz only for short benching sessions. linx, thats true it takes my cpu to the 85C but o well, i still have 15C headroom before throttling, besides nothing that i do on my PC wont make my cpu usage 100% like linx does.

Heh.

Been away a evening or two putting it together :), ran into a small problem but working out the kinks.

Last edited:
Back