• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the better board (ASUS or 780i)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinitus

I – many weeks ago – sent back my EVGA 780i motherboard under warranty, as it was faulty (it had been from the outset, but I waited a long time before returning it). Anyway, the seller I returned it to has been causing me problems, and now, eight weeks later, I still do not have a replacement motherboard, and it could be a further four to seven weeks before I do.

Naturally this is unacceptable, thus I have started the legal process to get a replacement board. The seller has now offered me an ASUS Maximus 2 Formula. Is this a better board than the EVGA 780i, or is not as good?

The seller does not stock the 780i motherboard any more, and so is offering me the ASUS from their existing stock. Should I accept the ASUS it would mean that, once the seller has received back a replacement for the 780i, the seller would have made even more profit.

This, of course, is not my primary concern; I just want a motherboard and one as capable as the 780i.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I haven't had experience with either board but from what I can tell the Asus board looks to be better than the EVGA. While the Asus mobo only gives you two PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots it has a higher memory standard, supports more memory, and has more SATA ports. From the looks of it the EVGA board is older as well since its deactivated on Newegg. But thats just what I could find online. Someone else maybe be able to give you better info.

I was considering buying the Maximus for a build, but after the reviews and customer feedback I have read on various sites I am looking elsewhere. Generally if I have a concern over a product I always look at customer reviews.

Thank you all for your replies, although I remain unconvinced either way!

If you plan on OCing i think the Asus can go higher but its still the same chipset so the EVGA wont be far and ive seens lots of ppl OC nicely with EVGA mobo.

If you only need the SLI ... any of those. EVGA seems to have rock solid warantie.

Maximus II is a stellar board

I would grab it if you can, have no experience with 780i boards cause ther not really my flavor but if you grab the P45 baord and pair it with a decent chip you wont be disappointed in your choice

500x8_1200ram.jpg

500FSB_MIIF.jpg

I vote the ASUS Maximus II Formula. Unless you're going SLI there's no reason why not to jump on the P45 board. P45 clocks better than the 780i chipset.

I vote the ASUS Maximus II Formula. Unless you're going SLI there's no reason why not to jump on the P45 board. P45 clocks better than the 780i chipset.

+1 My maximus 2 reached nearly 4 stable with very little tinkering at all, and asthetically its pretty nice to look at

Thank you for the new replies, and thanks for the screenshots, GrnFinger.

I have decided to accept the ASUS.

Back