• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my peltier chiller system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadfear

I've bought a CoolIt Boreas Mtech Chiller one month ago and it gave me lot of idea for a home made project. It prooved that TECs have great performances (30°C on a Q6600 B3 oc @ 3.4 Ghz when the liquid temp is set to 30°C!) I would like to try to make my own.

It sounds like a good project to me, I just need to get some more money.

I've drawn my idea. 12 136W peltiers would be colling a copper plate where water would flow. The hot side would be cooled by big aluminum radiators with about 220cfm of air flow. I would take fours fans, two intakes from the outside and two exhaust for the hot air. The windows would be made of polycarbonate and allow mounting 8 fans (4 for the boreas and 4 for the new tec system) I've found the right power supply for these tecs. Using a computer power supply for the Boreas doesn't leave it a great performance because there aren't enought amperes for each peltier. I'll be using two 12v 20a for 12 peltiers, so that each will get about 6.6A, peak is 9A, so it's about 80% of its maximum.

Here are pics of my chiller with and without the box
peltier1.png

peltier2.png

Would some people be interested in having one or two if it end up well? It would cost me less to make more at the same time.

id be worried about how be its gonna have to be to cool 12 tec's, i think most people are going to say use water to cool the hot side. tec's on air coolers have been tried and usually didnt preform very well for the cost.

Should I make two same copper plate, one used for the cold water and my computer, and the other used for the hot water being colled by a rad, probably a 360 for the price?

Should I make it in aluminum instead of copper? I don't know if the performances are really going to worth the extra buck. Or maybe only the hot side in aluminum :-/

do copper blocks on both sides, aluminum isnt a good idea for a water loop because mixed metals can cause corrosion.

i doubt you need that many tec's either, thats 1600W of cooling if my math is anywhere close.

as far as improving the block make small fins like in cpu blocks, those will give more surface area and allow more heat to be transferred through.

recent thread on xs, could probably get more help with tecs there.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230755

Very nice idea about the fins, I completly forgot it. I'll keep the old idea but I'll draw an other model with fins. I wonder how much it will cost, I think it will be over priced. Maybe I should ask them to cut using the smallest miller saw instead of using abrasion.

I've drawn the fins and I realised that the price would not worth for the performance. The block is 3 X 12 X 1/4, it makes a lot of fins, and since abrasion is extremly long, it's costly.

I've also realized that my Boreas Mtec Chiller was cooled using aluminum reservoirs. Using a copper plate will have greater performances anyway.

I'm using 1/4 ID tubes for this project because the Boreas only fits with this size. I've calculated the surface area of the liquid throught the tube and I've made my block trying to match the same space so that the water can flow easily.
Would it be better to make smaller cuts (they are now 1/4") slowing the water and allowing more passes throught the block?

Thank you, I appreciate your help! I'll go make a new thread right now.

Back