• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

975XBX2 fail to POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cubus

Registered
Hi there!
I'm new to this forum and new to overclocking.

I own Intel's 975XBX2 and E6600 CPU. I successfully overclocked the processor to 300 MHz FSB x9 multiplier and run with it for a couple of days. Then during power up, BIOS fail to POST "due to the recent change to BIOS or hardware". I tried lifting voltage on CPU (in the range of 1.3 - 1.4 V), then on RAM up to 2 V. Nothing worked, so I started stepping down FSB and the only setup that worked was default 266 MHz.
Another reboot and I could lift it up to 300 MHz and was fine for a couple of days, and then it failed to POST again all of a sudden. I keep playing with it for a while now. Any ideas?
Thanks

System Spec.
System: Windows 7 RC1
Mobo: 975XBX2 Rev. A0
BIOS: BX97520J.86A.2838.2008.0903.1859 (9/3/2008)
CPU: E6600
Cooler: Core-Contact Freezer (12 cm fan) - 51oC Max T during stress test
RAM: 6 GB Corsair PC26400 800MHZ MATCHED PAIRs 5-5-5-12 (2x1GB and 2x2 GB)

Last edited:
What power supply do you have running this? Also I'd try running with 4GB instead of 6GB and see if it works better.

Ok, I will try that. It will take time for the power supply.
In the meantime, I upped FSB voltage to 1.3 (it was 1.25) and CPU V to 1.35 (even though CPU ID shows 1.32 V)
Any comments on FSB voltage?

It did let me increase FSB to 310 MHz, which I wasn't able to do ever before.

Thanks a lot!

Apevia are POS PSU's. That may not be the issue, but I would replace it ASAP.

I second Trap05's posts.

EDIT: Read the overclocking Sticky thread man. Sounds like you are just upping voltages with narry a clue. :)

Thanks guys. I did read the overclocking sticky before started playing and found it very useful. I found out about lifting FSB to 1.3 V from another forum.

Anyway, removed the 2 x 1 GB RAM and still have some problems. I think you're right, it might be PSU.
After running prime95 stress test for a couple of hours, HWMonitor tells me that
+1.5V
Min = 0.16V
Max = 2.51V

CPU VCORE
Min=.28V (average 1.34V)
Max = 1.34V

other voltages are as should be.

Do you guys with better power supplies see those kind of glitches as well?

No...that's the point of having a quality power supply it provides stable clean power that doesn't jump around.

Corsair 550VX would do nice. Look in the PSU section for noted good brands between 45-0-550W and pick one.

Corsair, PCPnC, and Silverstone amognt others make quality PSUs for you.

Corsair 650tx
750tx
Antec Earthwatts series 500w+
Depends if you're willing to spend money on something that will last.

Corsair 650tx thats what I ordered. The same price as 550VX at NewEgg.

My CPUID HWMonitor started showing +1.5v rail in the range of 0.17V and 3.1V and I freeked out :)

I have no idea what those numbers mean......as there is no 1.5v rail. Its 12v, 5v , 5vsb, and 3.3v on the positive side.

What you should be looking at is any sag in the 12v rail. 5% is ATX spec IIRC.

Ya HWMonitor isn't a reliable method of measuring voltages. But I'm sure the 650TX will help

sorry, EarthDog, I'm not really a PC expert.

The first line in CPUID HWMonitor says +1.5V.
My ATX 12V showed 0.6V - 12.00V Min/Max. I thought it's interesting the PC didn't restart... Though I did see it real time, and it was really just a short glitch (it happens as soon as I put load on the CPU). Maybe some capacitors downstream of the voltage tap kept the PC alive?

So I got my Corsair TX650W, and pulled 2x1 GB RAM, and I still can't get past those weird POST failures.
Now I was able to get only to 300 MHz and it still failed a couple of times, and only on a 3rd or 4th time I hit "NO" it did boot up.
:bang head

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

yes, it does.

Also once it boots up overclocked, I can run prime95 for a couple of hours and it's fine. Then when I restart, it does not pass POST with the same BIOS settings.

Back