• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't deside on the Motherboard..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DavidB

Registered
Hey everyone..

Well, this will be my first purchase from Gigabyte..

I've been planning for my new Computer Rig

Now, I can't really decide on the motherboard..

I can afford the EX58-EXTREME, but will I need that MOBO..or UD4P is enough for me?or the UD3R?

I almost decided to the EXTREME mobo, I'll be overclocking my i7-920 extremely up to 4GHz..will I need an aftermarket heat-sink fan for the CPU, or the Hybird Pipe 2 will do the work..?

- also, what manufacture is best for the RAM (6GB DDR3 @1600MHz 7 7 7 )
- is 850 Watts enough to do OC-ing and 2way SLI?
- is SLI used for Extra performance or multi-diplay config?

1. The i7 isnt really board limited unless you are into extreme cooling (LN2/DI).
2. An aftermarket cooler will be needed to hit 4Ghz with HT enabled.
3. Good mfg for ram are Gskill, Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ.
4. 850W is most likely enough. But what cards do you have?
5. SLI is for more performance. You can run 2 displays off one card. Any more and you need a second card I believe.

1. The i7 isnt really board limited unless you are into extreme cooling (LN2/DI).
5. SLI is for more performance. You can run 2 displays off one card. Any more and you need a second card I believe.

..my Rig:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R or the UD4P, (not sure which board to choose)
Intel i7-920 CPU
6GB of RAM @ 1600 7 7 7
eVGA GeForce GTX260 1GB

What board is top for me and won't need any mobo upgrade for next upgrades on other parts..?

GTX260 comes in 1GB? 896MB I think...

Anyhoooooo, Any mobo will likely do so long as it does SLI like you mention. I dont know offhand if the ones you are selecting does, however most X58 based boards do both. Please confirm.

What board would you say isn't limited when it comes to extreme cooling? That's on the cheaper end? Or do you have to shell out 300 + for one?

Not trying to hijack the thread lol

But yeah, if you just want 4Ghz, I'm pretty sure any of the boards will do it from what I've seen. EVGA has a nice board, the little brother of the classified for 230$ on newegg, seems to have good reviews, and no problem getting any i7 to 4 Ghz

Classifieds is the one I see that is making waves the most at XS. I dont know much more. I will admit Im just regurgitating information I have seen here and XS.

Yes, they support 2 way SLI and XFire, the UD4P and EXTREME as I believe support 3 way..

ok, I think EXTREME mobo is not recommended for most users as I heard and read reviews about it..

so, I have narrowed the choices to UD3R or UD4P...

MOST LIKELY the UD4P...Does anyone have it installed with the i7-920 core and tried overclocking it to mid 3GHz or even 4GHz?

Again, the board isnt the issue. Darn near any board will get you there (unless there was a specific question there you need answered and I missed?).

ok good, now, which board to get the UD4P or the UD3R?

what about the DX58SO? I've seen ppl overclocking it to 4.2GHz (i7-920)?

what about the DX58SO? I've seen ppl overclocking it to 4.2GHz (i7-920)?

Again, all the boards are good. Unless you plan on some DICE/l2n benches, then any of the lower end ones will work.

As for getting to 4.2, depends on if your CPU will do it. Some do, some don't .. you'll just have to wait and see :)

The micro boards all have good reviews over on XS .. you could check those out also. That is, if you don't mind mATX :beer:

Ok what is the things that makes your mind on a particular board?

Aesthetics, SLI/Crossfire capable, the amount of ram slots available in case I needed to put more then 6GB (which is highly doubtful for me and 99% of users). Location of sata ports, # of USB ports..

Ok what is the things that makes your mind on a particular board?

I read reviews on XS and other various websites. If enough people give it good raves, then I'll take their word for it ;d

Also, in the reviews it will tell you a lot about the features, so whatever you think fits you best.

Great.. here's what I decided, I'll take the EXTREME version otherwise UD4P..

ok, what about the RAM, 6GB @ 1600MHz or better 1333MHz? I'll be overclocking my i7-920 to 4GHz and even 4.2GHz, I'll be lowering freq. and stuff as read from a manual by Gigabyte..

should it be 1600 or 1333? they used 1333C9 and overclocked teh system to 4.2GHz

Back