• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone swapped coolers on a FX6800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xj0hnx

Registered
I got a FX6800 from my dad after a house fire. The heatsink that came on it has some rusting on the mounting screws, and the copper pipes are kind of too. I bought a i7 965 cooler (nice for an OEM and inexpensive), which has the normal Intel push pins, but the Gateway OEM heatsink has screws with a backplate. I'm going to be taking it all apart when my new case gets here, but don't want to remove the heatsink if that back plate is glued on and will wreck the mobo if I forcably remove it. Just seeing if anyone has removed the OEM Gateway heatsink, and if it was a problem.

Ok, so does anyone know who made the motherboards for this model? X58 matx, 6 ram slots, 6 SATA off the side, no PCI, 2x PCI-E x16, 1x, no optical, coax, or onboard video Sound familiar?

Narrows it down to about 25 possibilities

lol, yea I know :p A couple people have speculated Foxconn. Also it has no IDE connection. It says Gateway TBGM-01, but I haven't been able to find out who actually made the board.

It's a Foxconn, printed on the back of the board.

So being that it's a Gateway, knowing the manufacterer, how dangerous would it be to try flashing the BIOS to something more configurable? Anyone think that contacting Foxconn would bare fruit in a search for a good BIOS?

Back