• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Karma sux :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

So..

I know ive kinda angered some people with my comments here and there, mainly about hardware and such..

Let me tell you a little about my luck.

I wanted to sell my p5k, since the last time i used it, it worked perfectly, that was always my "go to" board. No one bought it. Thats ok tho, I had a plan..

Next, I was going to sell my rampage. I had 1 guy offer to buy just my board, and with out responding, I quickly powered down my rig, and swapped the rampage out with the p5k. my p5k wont start, no matter what! the only diff between now and then, is i have a 295, rather then the 88gtx i had before.

so i put my rampage back, and it fired back up, ahh its good to be back.

Last night, was very frustrateing for me. I went to reboot my pc, and it would not start back up. between clearing the cmos, and swapping out stix, i finally got it going. No overclocking ever again on this board :( I cannot shut it down, and restart it without swapping out ram. I tried flashing the bios, and it did not start after that, i dam near **** myself.

My pc is ok, as long as i dont have to reboot it, or install windows, because getting it to post again is a REAL chore.

So, to make right with everything, and get myself re alighned, I appologise to everyone i have offended over the last 3 months.

Thats how karma works for me :(

Alien432, I cannot wait to take hold of that 950, Im not even sure if its going to get overclocked now lol :)

Well.. maybe a little ;)

umm im sure u can send u p5k to asus and they will swap it for like $10 shipping. When u get it back do the same with the rampage. Try running memtest seems like u also have an issue with ram

the ram should be fine, it is not d9gmh type ram, i am getting the same results with 2x1gb ballistix, 2x2gb redline, and 2x2gb dominators. I am almost positive it is a bios thing, or something.. I dont even know what it iss, because ive never had a board act this way before.

If anything, i will start rma'ing when my i7 is built :)

when you say it doesnt turn on.. u press the power and nothing happens? i thinkg your board has a power switch on the board it self, try that switch when the system doesnt turn on

well, the board will turn on, but it wont post. getting it to post has become a real challenge! I figured out a little system to get it going again. if i shut it off, start the board with 1 stick in the furthest slot, if it begins to post, unplug it, and insert a second stick in slot 2, plug in the mains and hit go, and it will usually fire up and post. if it doesnt, then unplug it, and grab either a corsair, or mushkin and plug it in slot 4, plug in the mains and hit go and it will usually fire up, then unlug the mains and stick a stick in slot 2. but if it doesnt post, then i have to clear the cmos, and start the process all over again. by the time it fires up after a bout like that, i would have started off with say the mushkins, but would end up running the corsair after all is said and done, or vice versa. i know it probably makes no sense at all, but so far its working.

edit:

ive also replaced the cmos battery

Last edited:
yeah i was thinking about that, or possibly something in the bios got scribbled, or something.. it flashed just fine, but its hard to get it posting. I reallllly dont know what to make of it. It was running just fine, then like i said, i went to reboot it, and thats where my problem began. I have been in and out of the bios alot, like i live in the bios or something lol.. I was thinking maybe possibly i saved and exited a few too many times?

not hundreds of times, but thousands i am sure..

edit:

my problem started before i flashed the bios, that was a last ditch effort after about 3 hours of messing with it

ummm remove the cmos battery from the system, disconnect the power cord from the system, press the power button with the power disconected (to get all residual power out), wait about 3 minutes, put the cmos battery back in, power in, and turn on

yup, ive done that :)

ill try it again with a fresh head on today :thup:

gotta leave for work soon, boooo.

Thats ok tho!

I took your advice, and let it sit for 5 minutes with no battery in it and a cleared cmos. I put it all back together, fed it some jo0s and she fired right up for me! I went in, made some changes, and bam i was at 400x10 with no troubles, then i went back in for 501x8, save and exit and BAM!! here I am thanking you man :thup:

:)

That was really effed up tho. I kid you not, I went thru the stick swapping cycle for 4 and a harf hours last nite. I know for sure I have another white hair from it. Maybe it didnt like my chaotic energy? I was feeling hostile yesterday, and a bit today.. Now we are both good again :D

its funny you mention that, my psu has been powering my rig for about 375 days 24/7.

i checked with my mm about 2 weeks ago when i had the system loaded, everything was hunky dory :thup:

Multimeter.

Sometimes the simplest standard solutions are the correct ones, that's why they're standard ;) Disconnecting all power and letting a board sit for a while is always something to try if a simple clear CMOS doesn't work.

Back