• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook for college Time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlavrenz

Alright so I am building a new desktop for college but my mom doesn't feel comfortable with me not having a mobile machine sooo... Netbook!

Now I am kinda thinking Ubuntu or some sort of linux as this would be more fun :thup:
Uses would be all things college school work related so writing papers or checking email or powerpoint but nothing too intensive.

No real budget in mind atm but I am hoping less then 400 maybe :shrug:

So what Netbooks would you recommend? I kinda like the Dell minis or Lenovo but I have no experience with anything this small

Thanks much!

The Dell mini's are pretty good as you can spec them up quite well, Im also a big fan of the Samsung NC10.
I've got an Asus which although reasonable is not a touch on either of these.

In terms of operating systems for netbooks I do not think you can get better than an intel sponsored Linux distro called Moblin

http://moblin.org/

i'll vouch for the MSI Wind I have. the majority of netbooks are so incredibly similar that it's difficult to really argue one over the other. i bought the wind last month for the following reasons though:

price was right - $369 CAD before tax for 9 cell version
9 cell battery gives insane battery life. 6 and 3 cell options available
built in overclocking options
above average LED backlighting
good keyboard
sturdy construction

tbh for the price of a netbook you can have a 14inish screen normal laptop that will kick the crap out of the netbook.

That being said, as long as you have a good desktop, and you can find a good deal on a netbook go for it.

I have a dell mini 9, with a 8gb stec ssd, and 2gb of ram, and love it. but definietly would not consider using it full time. its great for taking notes in class and chattin on aim n whatnot, much past that however u will start feeling the slower atom 1.6ghz.

I just recently bought a MSI Wind U123 with the 9-cell battery, and I love it. It has the best battery life of any netbook out there now, and also weighs in at only 3.2 lbs with the 9 cell battery.

I am eyeing the Gateway LT3103u. It is running the new AMD 1.2Ghz processor. 11.6" screen, full size keyboard, 2GB's ram, 250GB HD, and a six cell battery. What I have no clue of is how the AMD combo performs. A couple links leads me to believe the GPU is somewhat decent for the price but I can't find jack on the CPU. I have been searching but have come up empty. It seems pretty darn good for $379.

dell 11z is also an option and much better IMO than any netbook.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-11z/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-11z&s=dhs&cs=19

uses the GS45 chipset and SULV celeron 1.2ghz cpu that will kick the crap out of the 1.6ghz atom left and right.

1.2ghz cpu 1mb cache 800mhz fsb
11.6" High Definition WLED Display (1366x768)
Intel® GS45 Integrated Graphics
2GB,DDR2,800MHZ,1 DIMM
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
28WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (3-cell)
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam

for 399.

Dang that is a pretty darn nice, it even has an HDMI output. Only downside is the battery. You would be lucky to get three hours out of it.

The new Dell Zs have the best graphics in a "netbook" at this point. All of the Intel Atom netbooks have weak graphics, but the Dell 11z has a celeron with improved graphics.

The Samsung NC10 and the Asus netbooks are probably the best for battery life.
The HP mini's probably have the best design in my opinion.

Geez, they just jumped the base 11z price to $524! Definitely not worth it over the Acer at this point.

Back